Looking to buy a used intake, what else do I need to buy?

deadly97snake

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2001
Manchester, NH
I've been searching for a used cobra or edelbrock performer 5.0 intake on the classifieds and ebay. I know I need the intake elbow(unless I buy a 94-95 cobra intake). I see that most of the "new intakes" have gaskets and hardware that come with them. If I buy a used intake where could I find these gaskets and hardware? How much more am I gonna pay for the new gaskets and hardware?

• Sponsors (?)

I can't speak for buying a used Edelbrock, but obviously you would need the bolts if it does not come with it.

For any kind of used Ford manifold, you can reuse the stock lower bolts, but you cannot use the stock uppers because they are too short. If hardware stores stock very long, very weird sized hardware (Grade 5 minimum), you might be able to find them there, otherwise you would have to go to Ford.

You would need the 4 long bolts for the upper intake manifold and they are size 5/16-18-6 1/4. You can try a hardware store, but I didn't have any luck when I looked.

Joe

deadly97snake said:
Do I ask for them or should I look for something inparticular(sp?) since I don't know what they look like?
The look like long skinny head bolts with an extended area without threads. :D

Just to where the nuts and bolts are. You will know in 5 minutes if they have them or not.

You may get lucky like wytstang. :spot:

Joe

wytstang said:
I just took the intake inside with me and ask the guys inside for the bolts they found them(ask for at least a grade 5) the 4 bolt and brass washers came out to a whopping .97 cents.
Damn! Do it his way. :bang:

I paid 15 bucks for the 4 bolts from Ford, and that was after my "5% off wholesale price" discount.

Joe

Ok I'll try that for the hardware, now for the gaskets.....Does the $20.00 for the cobra gaskets from autozone have all the gaskets I need? What do I need? I am thinking 3 gaskets:
1. For the intake to Throttle body
2. between the upper and lower intake connect
3. Whatever the lower intake connects to (LOL)
Is this right?

Now what about an edelbrock performer 5.0 intake? Do I have to get the hardware and gaskets from them or can I go somewhere else?

I don't know were to get the eddy gaskets from :shrug: .
The cobra gaskets just ask for the intake gasket set for a 95 cobra comes complete minus the throttle body gasket. The throttle body gasket I could not find so I just bought paper gasket (felpro) and made my own really easy. I almost forgot the egr gasket was pretty much impossible to find for our year you may have to reuse the old one. Fortunately god smiled on me once again and my friends at Ford (used to work there) found one sitting in the back with no part# and it was a perfect fit and best of all it was FREE :nice:

I don't care for the Edelbrock because you have to remove the side plate everytime to take the upper manifold off. Bolts are easy. If you can't find bolts, use allthread. We have Daytona Nut and Bolt here; they have everything. If not, most hardware stores will have something that will work. If you get the Cobra, you can get the gaskets at any autoparts store. That's one other reason to go with a Cobra. I have a Holley Systemax II, and the gaskets are the same as a 94' Ford F150 with a 302. That makes it easy to find gaskets.

Kurt