Looking to upgrade stock suspension and could use some advise

sandiegostang

May 19, 2011
I recently purchased a 2000 GT and i am looking to upgrade the suspension from the stock stuff. Let me give you a brief overview of my goal. This car is a daily driver so i want it to feel as comfortable as stock, maybe a little firmer, but certainly not harsh. I was looking to lower the car and upgrade the control arms or do a coil over kit. I found a Granetelli front K member kit on Summit Racing that includes k member, a arms, and coil over kit. Anyone use this kit before? What spring rate would feel like stock? The other question is can i do coilover in the front and just upgrade the springs and control arms in the rear?

• Sponsors (?)

If you're looking to lower the car but still maintain a decent ride quality, I'd go with something like this:

Subframe connectors to tighten up the body: 79-04 Mustang Full Length Subframe Connectors

Lowering springs: 1979-2004 Ford Mustang V8 UPR Pro Series Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!

Rear shocks: 1994-2002 Ford Mustang Strange 10 Way Adjustable Shock S6004LM - UPR Products

Front struts, (87-93 fitment, because they're shorter than the 94-04 fitment, which is better for a lowered SN-95): 1987-1993 Ford Mustang Strange 10 Way Adjustable Strut S6001EM - UPR Products

Upper & Lower control arms with polyurethane bushings: 99-04 Mustang Elite Chrome Moly Urethane Control Arm Suspension Kit

Caster Camber plates: 94-04 Mustang Billet Shark Caster Camber Plates

Strut tower brace: BBK 1994-2004 Ford Mustang Strut Tower Brace Black 2516 - UPR Products

This is a complete setup that would improve every aspect of handling, but not be harsh or annoying to drive.

But if you want to get a little racier, you can do the tubular front end: 1996-2004 Ford Mustang Tubular Chrome Moly K Member Kit - UPR Products

BTW, UPR Products are high quality components with a lifetime guarantee. :flag:

Or, he may not want to spend $1200 on a complete suspension...:rolleyes:

sandiegostang, what are your performance goals for the car and how much of a drop are you looking for? That greatly determines what you need, and what would be wasting your money.

I have the complete Bullitt suspension kit like this one: Bullitt Suspension Kit. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend it for what you are asking. It lowered my car about 1.25 inches all around, doesn't ride too harsh at all, and handles MUCH better than the car did when stock. It is very affordable as well. Thrown in an alignment (with which they easily aligned the car in spec with the stock caster/camber plates, saving me $200) at the same time, and you are looking at less than $600 for a very nice suspension setup. The great thing about this kit is that all of the components were designed, by Ford, to work together as a complete suspension. You can't find many other kits like that that don't cost $1000+. You dang sure can't find any that are OEM.

If you are going to be racing a lot, a set of Maximum Motorsports lower control arms (~$250) and full length sub frame connectors (~$150) are great additions, but not at all necessary.

And of course, you could go and spend a grand or more for a full coilover setup, but that is completely unnecessary for 99.99% of the Mustangs on the road.

Or, he may not want to spend $1200 on a complete suspension...:rolleyes:

It's not like I ordered him to buy all of that stuff. I simply listed some parts that would improve his car's handling, just like he asked about. :) Chances are, he's like most of us, and can only afford one part at a time. It might take him 3 years to buy everything on that list... but sooner or later (if he plans to keep the car) he should probably upgrade all of those parts.

Just trying to help a brotha out!

My goal for the car performance wise from now is to slap on a blower and be done. right now I have a cold air intake, 78mm elbow plenum, long tubes, catted mid, magnapack, pro 5.0 short throw, MM strut tower brace. Its a daily driver and i just like the pull. My driving style is feather into gas until 15mph and 3000 rpms then floor it. I will probably never go to a track. I just want a supercharger and a tune, but i dont want to spin through 1st gear so i have hesitated to get gears. Anyway, is the UPR K member kit good quality? I have read bad things about Granatelli so maybe i will avoid them. The only bad thing i have heard about UPR is that the coil over kits squeek. Does everything UPR makes come with a lifetime warrenty?

My goal for the car performance wise from now is to slap on a blower and be done. right now I have a cold air intake, 78mm elbow plenum, long tubes, catted mid, magnapack, pro 5.0 short throw, MM strut tower brace. Its a daily driver and i just like the pull. My driving style is feather into gas until 15mph and 3000 rpms then floor it. I will probably never go to a track. I just want a supercharger and a tune, but i dont want to spin through 1st gear so i have hesitated to get gears. Anyway, is the UPR K member kit good quality? I have read bad things about Granatelli so maybe i will avoid them. The only bad thing i have heard about UPR is that the coil over kits squeek. Does everything UPR makes come with a lifetime warrenty?

If you're planning to add a blower and have any prayer of hooking, you'll need sticky tires and good quality suspension!! I had an ATI ProCharger on my '92 Mustang with a T-5 trans, 26x10 slicks, and UPR Pro Series suspension. It picked up the front tires and pulled a 1.39 sixty foot time!! :flag:

That said, the UPR Pro Street suspension with a set of drag radials is a much more reasonable combo for a supercharged street car.

And yes, all parts manufactured by UPR Products have a lifetime guarantee. It's durable stuff though. I've been running it for almost 10 years, with no problems. :nice:

If you're planning to add a blower and have any prayer of hooking, you'll need sticky tires and good quality suspension!! I had an ATI ProCharger on my '92 Mustang with a T-5 trans, 26x10 slicks, and UPR Pro Series suspension. It picked up the front tires and pulled a 1.39 sixty foot time!! :flag:

That said, the UPR Pro Street suspension with a set of drag radials is a much more reasonable combo for a supercharged street car.

And yes, all parts manufactured by UPR Products have a lifetime guarantee. It's durable stuff though. I've been running it for almost 10 years, with no problems. :nice:

What tires and suspension are good? I was going o put on J&M lower control arms in the rear with lowering springs and I was debating coil over in the front.