loose steering box

is there a way to tighten the amount of play in my 66 mustang steering box? i have all new suspension and power steering components and i think the play is in the steering box. i can turn the wheel a good distang from center in either direction before it starts to respond.

ive talked to some people about adjusting the sector shaft bolt, but some have said that wont fix the distance i can freely move the wheel, rather they said it will only affect how quickly it grabs the gear and reacts.

anyone have a similar problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Total steering wheel rotational play can only be checked with the engine running because of the nature of the power assist. With the engine running and the car on a lift or ramps (so wheels are in contact with something solid), while someone wiggles the steering wheel back and forth, see how much play is in the p/s ball socket joint. There should be barely noticable play. You can also check the steering box itself by seeing how much movement is in the steering column as compared to when the pitman arm moves. This also should be barely noticable. Over tightening the steering gearbox is a high cause of that 'wandering' feeling when you're driving down the road. Let us know what you find and we can go from there.