Loose Steering Column/Shaft

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
I'm in the process of rebuilding my entire steering system on my '90 LX 5.0, and while I was at it I'm trying to get rid of some up and down play I have in the steering wheel.

I've read the threads about tightening the bolts that hold the column to the dash and the bolts behind the multi-function switch that often work their way loose. Neither of those helped.

After removing the steering wheel I've narrowed it down to the very end of the steering column where it travels through the tilt mechanism. You can grab ahold of the end (first picture) and wiggle it ever so slightly up and down. With the steering wheel attached this movement is exaggerated as the wheel increases the moment on this shaft.

The second picture shows a side view of the column. You can see a small brass colored ring at the back of the tilt mechanism. It's almost like if you could use a spanner wrench to tighten this ring against the tilt mechanism (towards the rear seat of the car) it would eliminate this wobble.

Anyone ever run into this before and have a solution? I'd really like to get rid of this wobble before I put everything back together. Nothing like having that tight steering feel back.

0_0_3934268ab4ebe495ac0d7d98a7b62bfd_1

0_0_4d9dfb947895fe38ea9af7d05ba4e2cb_1

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in the process of rebuilding my entire steering system on my '90 LX 5.0, and while I was at it I'm trying to get rid of some up and down play I have in the steering wheel.

I've read the threads about tightening the bolts that hold the column to the dash and the bolts behind the multi-function switch that often work their way loose. Neither of those helped.

After removing the steering wheel I've narrowed it down to the very end of the steering column where it travels through the tilt mechanism. You can grab ahold of the end (first picture) and wiggle it ever so slightly up and down. With the steering wheel attached this movement is exaggerated as the wheel increases the moment on this shaft.

The second picture shows a side view of the column. You can see a small brass colored ring at the back of the tilt mechanism. It's almost like if you could use a spanner wrench to tighten this ring against the tilt mechanism (towards the rear seat of the car) it would eliminate this wobble.

Anyone ever run into this before and have a solution? I'd really like to get rid of this wobble before I put everything back together. Nothing like having that tight steering feel back.

0_0_3934268ab4ebe495ac0d7d98a7b62bfd_1

0_0_4d9dfb947895fe38ea9af7d05ba4e2cb_1
I just dealt w/ mine last month. That assy is not user servicable. I thought that my slop was in that tilt head that you have pictured, So I opened mine up to see if there was a bearing in there that was loose. Very complicated, and not for the faint of heart. You have to drill out those pivot pins (which there is no replacement for) and that will let the entire steering shaft come out w/ the head. You will also be able to remove the tilt head from the shaft.

While it can be taken apart, what you have to do to put it back together is the "not for the faint of heart" part. I won't go into all the details, but lets just say that it won't be good as new when you're done.

As for mine?....Tight, w/ absolutely no slop. That said, I wouldn't recommend that you do what I did, but you can look for yourself: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/steering-column-rebuild.847785/

Sorry, forgot I resolved my issues on another thread:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/tonights-new-issue.847679/

I just dealt w/ mine last month. That assy is not user servicable. I thought that my slop was in that tilt head that you have pictured, So I opened mine up to see if there was a bearing in there that was loose. Very complicated, and not for the faint of heart. You have to drill out those pivot pins (which there is no replacement for) and that will let the entire steering shaft come out w/ the head. You will also be able to remove the tilt head from the shaft.

While it can be taken apart, what you have to do to put it back together is the "not for the faint of heart" part. I won't go into all the details, but lets just say that it won't be good as new when you're done.

As for mine?....Tight, w/ absolutely no slop. That said, I wouldn't recommend that you do what I did, but you can look for yourself: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/steering-column-rebuild.847785/

Sorry, forgot I resolved my issues on another thread:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/tonights-new-issue.847679/[/quote]
Madmike...sounds like a lot but I might try it.

That being said, I may try finding a column from someone else first that's in better shape. Are the non-tilt columns less likely to have this issue than tilt columns?