Loose Steering (Everyone Read)

HighMileage

Aug 7, 2004
Recently, I've seen some posts relating to the steering column feeling loose.
There is even a web page out there documenting the fix for it.
The data on it is, unfortunately, incorrect.

There is no need to remove the multifunctional switch to expose bolts underneath it. These bolts are used to hold the multifunctional switch to the steering column. They are not used to hold the steering column in place. The fix is much simpler than that. You definitely don't want to remove the steering column, if you just want to tighten it. Neither do the two plastic steering wheel covers need to be removed.

If you get your head close to the pedals and look up, you'll see two large bolts holding a beefy metal bracket. If you look up the steering column about 10 inches, there will be two slightly less visible bolts of the same size.

You will need to physically put torque to each of these bolts using a nice long socket. Visual inspection is not good enough! If even one the nuts is loose, it wont hold the steering column. It will cause a small snagging sensation while you turn the steering wheel.

Just put good torque to these four bolts. Don't strip the bolts, of course.

One last note. If you've never done a fix (only read about it), please say so when you're posting. The original post may not be correct.

Happy Motorsporting :)

• Sponsors (?)

(not that I have done this) I don't think that you would need to remove the covers. HighMilage said that you could get to the bolts w/o removing them. You just have to lay upside down in the cockpit for a minute while you tighten the bolts...

On a side note: Do you have any information pertaining to what years this effects?

my column is loose as hell, i can move it up and down and side to side about 3/4 of an inch all around.... i know probably should fix it before my wheel falls in my lap at 75 mph ..... eek

There are two different problems that cause the steering column to be loose. One occurs with tilt columns there are two screws or bolts (I forget which) somewhere inside the column that require removal of some of the pieces on the steering column to tighten them. This is not a problem on non-tilt column cars. It's been a while since I fixed mine so I don't remember the details well. I may be talking out my rear hear, but I don't think later foxes with airbags have tilt columns, so it's only a problem on older non-airbag foxes.

The other problem is as you described, there are 4 bolts on two collars that secure the column itself to the firewall/dash. To tighten these bolts you don't have to remove anything, just lay in the floorboard in an uncomfortable position.