loose steering wheel

InitialB

Aug 26, 2004
Connecticut
My steering wheel on my 88 GT feels like it's loos I took the horn cover off and the bolt in the center sems tight. But there is definately play, I was sitting in the parking lot and I could move it side to side and up and down. The steering is still responsive it just feels like the steering wheel is loose. What could it be :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

there are screws/bolts behind the MF switch and on the column which can come loose (i recall at least 4 of them). the fix it to remove the column shrouds, etc and MF switch and remove the bolts. apply threadlock and reinstall them.

good luck.

My steering wheel had the same problem a while ago. there are 2 screws in the steering column that keep it on there tight. take off the plastic covering and you will see them easy. they screw in with the heads of the screws facing the driver's door. put some thread lock on em and it will be nice n tight. good luck

I had that problem with mine. It felt like my tilt wheel never locked. The wheel would move in all directions. My shop did a steering shaft rebuild while she was in getting other work done. Ran me like 40 bucks but it is like new now.