loud "clunk" noise, help please

19Nathen66

Mar 22, 2006
Whenever im drivin down the road and come to a stop sign, yeild sign or light, (slowing down in general) there is a loud clunk noise right as im coming to a stop or am slowin down to under 10 mph. Nothin is different to my 289, everythings stock. I heard that this is a transmission problem, but any advice on how to stop this noise would be much appriciated.

• Sponsors (?)

yeup comin from the front...no bowlin ball anywhere. So i was in a rush when typin that.....c'mon...sorry, but anyway, yah, sounds like its comin from under the engine.

Crawl under your car "in park" and try to turn the drive shaft back and forth. If its a u joint you will be able to emulate the same noise. However it won't be as loud because the force that you are applying is minimal as compared to the force the engine torque puts on the shaft in accelerate and decelerate.
Also check motor mounts, and transmission mount.
Kirk:nice:

Strut rod bushing gone?? If its the front, that would rule out the drive shaft as the front u-joint is about even with your hip. BTW, you didn't mention if it was a C4 or a manual tranny. Also, usually, a bad u-joint has a sort of ring to it when it clunks.

10secgoal said:
What I was thinking when I saw the title.

The only other thing I can think of would be a motor mount, that would be evident if he opened the hood, reached over and blipped the throttle.

OOH!!! Just thought of another one, shock beating against bottom of hood. May have come out of the shock mount. When you come to a stop, the nose drops and the shock could hit the hood, another easy to spot deal.

My brother had a bolt fly out of his brake caliper (one of the two holding it on) and everytime he his his brakes the caliper would clunk against his wheel. You may pull the front wheels off and make sure. That was a dangerous sitation

You really need to isolate the general source -- i.e. suspension vs. transmission, etc.. Try (in a parking lot, etc. where it's safe) getting up to 15-20 mph (since the clunk happens at 10), put the car in N (if auto, out of gear if manual) and bring the car to a stop. If clunk -- probably not transmission. If no clunk -- probably transmission. If it is truly correlated to a specific speed (i.e. the speed at which the tranny kicks down a gear) I would suspect that. If it's more a function of weight transfer (i.e., occurs at different speeds depending upon the how enthusiastically you apply brakes) I would suspect brakes or suspension.

I've got a friend that has a 2000 Xterra with about 160k on it. She was telling my wife that she heard a clunking noise around the right front tire and really couldn't afford a new car payment and was worried how much it'd cost to fix. I told her I'd look at it and drive it. I looked it over, nothing out of the ordinary. Took it for a drive, hitting bumps there was sort of a clinking noise that was high up. Parked it, kinda banged on the fender lip with my fist, heard it again. Popped the hood, the battery hold down wasn't on and was clinking against the fender.

Its c4...........also, i tried the parking lot test thing and when i put it in neutral and came to a stop, there was no clunking noise. Sounds like it is transmission problem. Im going to remove the driveshaft and lube it up with that silicon grease anyway. When i very first heard the noise my initial thought was that it was slammin my gears since it would happen around 10 mph....any more suggestions or insight would help. thanks

blkfrd said:
One of the problems my car had before the restomod..........

As a licensed attorney at law acting on behalf of Mustangs Plus, I hereby order you to cease and desist from the unauthorized use of the registered mark "restomod" without first having obtained permission from its creator and owner, Ron Bramlet.:D