Loud clunk when redlining in lst with 02 mustang?

Timothyeg

Aug 23, 2020
Sayre pa
Hi guys, I really need some insight to an issue I had.Kind of worried and wonder if there has been damage done to my really nice 02 stang with only 74,000 miles on it.I redlined in 1st a couple times over the last few days and both times when I did the car made a loud clunk! Both times.I think I was somewhere around 5,200 to 5500 rpms. Could have been a little higher don't know for sure.It also bogged down some when it clunked and this happened both times.Once I let the rpms go back down a little it drives fine again.The only time it makes that clunk is when I redline in first gear .It doesn't do it anywhere else.I am thinking I am hitting my rev limiter, but was unaware that a big clunk could be present while hitting it.Has anyone ever heard of this or has it happened to you? Rev limiters normally don't act like that do they.I had a fox body and never had this clunking issue.It sounds Bad! When it happens but afterwards it's fine.If anyone can tell me if this is normal or not would be great,and if it's not the rev limiter what does it sound like.I am going to start babying her I think.She has to last long enough to supercharge or install the trick flow top end kit which will make her a mean bitch.

• Sponsors (?)

Something I forgot to add to be clear.The car makes a loud popping sound like I am breaking something free as I go into second gear from first .It bogs down right at the top of 1st gear and makes the loud pop when this happens .I lose slight power because I believe I am hitting my rev limiter in 1st but I didn't know when you hit the rev limiter a mustang is supposed to pop.Hopefully it isn't the rearend or something else. It's not the exhaust back firing either. Almost sounds like when a mustang pops out of gear because of a bad synchro, but it isn't popping out of gear.It almost sounds like the sound is beneath me or slightly behind me when it pops?

Our cars have a rev limiter set at ~6200rpm...I've hit mine on occasion with the same sort of result as yours. I'd not worry about it, but not make a habit of it. That said, as previously recommended--check your motor mounts.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks stormsedge I was really worried and still am until I have my mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb.You said you experienced this once before did your mustang make a loud clunk as well when redlining it in first before going into 2nd?

iui u2 up
Check if you broke a motor mount. Sounds like a possible culprit.
Have you ever heard of hitting the rev limiter with a loud pop as if something that was tightened like a rusted bolt on a screw finally broke free.Thats what it sort of sounds like.It could be a number of things just not sure? The car has never done this before and has ran excellent!Have you personally ever heard a loud pop or jerking clunk while redlining in 1st gear? It was a loud popping clunk! It only does this or behaves like this when I redline I'm n 1st.It has never made the pop sound any other time just when I am close to or am redlining.It drives perfect other than that.It will
drive completely normal afterwards.

No, but the guy who sold me my car was showing off with my car on my test drive. He revved it waaay up and popped the clutch and there was a huge clunk. After I had owned the car for a while i knew what the clunk was. The bolt broke that holds the mount on. Have a person give it a high=very high rev while you watch, or feel your motor. See if it moves around the bay. It should be very still. Plus our mounts are prone to wear out.

Thanks stormsedge I was really worried and still am until I have my mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb.You said you experienced this once before did your mustang make a loud clunk as well when redlining it in first before going into 2nd?

I do not remember a loud clunk specifically, but the sensory experience of it was offputting. Definitely check your motor mounts as Potomus Pete suggests.