loud noise from diff

so this is my story, did a small burn out and parked the car right away. got into my mustang a few minutes later and started driving down the block, put it in 2nd and a lound clunking nosie came from the rear end and it felt like the rear tires locked up. got back in the car started driving slowly and i heard some clunking nosie but only after a few revloutions. drove it some more and it seemed to have gone away. so i took it home 20+ km or so, put it on jack stands and went though the gears with the rear tires in the air. i watched the rear diff carefuly and i could see that something was wrong, it was shaking and makeing that same clunking nosie (not constantly). so i took the diff cover off and found that one of the small gears has a little chip missing. ( dont know what that gear is called, and it was loose ).

i am probably going to take it to a diff shop, to get them to look at it, just because what ever it is i probably wont be able to fix it anyway.

just wondering has this happend to any of you guys and what could be the cause?

BTW: its a 92 vert

• Sponsors (?)

small gears

The small gears inside the ring gear carrier are generally called the spyder gears. The noise you heard was probably that piece binding the other gears.If you don't see that chunk of gear tooth whole in the case you probably are right to take it to a shop. I've had it happen in a NOS equipted car before. CJ

The gears that the axles go through, with the clutch packs, are the side gears. The two that the pin go through are the spyder gears. Probably all of them should be replaced. And I'd make sure the shop closely inspects the ring and pinion as well. Gears and chunks of metal don't mix well...