loud TICK from passenger valve covers

Jaswir

Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, FL
Im sure its my rockers on passenger side all the way in the back!

i have stock rockers... how hard is it to adjust them? what do i torque them too???

This TICK IS LOUD!! under load 2,000 rpms and up it goes away... and seems like i drive it awhile it almost stops or its not as loud at idle (but a slight tick)... kinda hard to tell because i can't hear it with my exhaust

i have good oil pressure and oil level is right...

any help please!

• Sponsors (?)

Possible Lifter issue

In my experience, I would believe that your tick was a lifter going out. On a stock 302HO your lifters keep the rockers on your valves. You cannot adjust your rockers. When a lifter goes out, it will relieve more oil than normal causing it to not fully expand on each engine cycle. This will create slack between your rocker and Valve which will create a "tick" or "tap". Your description of your problems makes me think it is a lifter even more. The higher the rpm the higher the oil pressure to the lifter, the lower rpm then lower oil pressure. Good luck

i just poped it off and checked them all... there i all tight or at 25lbs what i just torqued them too

? is can i start my car with the cover off? or is oil going to fly everywhere? see if that helped the tick?

if its my lifer how do i change them? is that the rod that pushes the rocker up and down?

i would think that myself is pretty Mechanically incline... just i have never done anytype of internal motor work... im learning im sure i can do this job.... i have done everything else on this car... and i don't want to spend 100's of dollars to someone which i can do myself!

so does anyone have some install tips? do i have to take off my lower intake to do this???

You can start your car with the v/c off. It wont be too much of a mess. A 'tick' could be so many different things that's why you should seek help. I'm sure you could fix it but you might need a mechanic to tell you whats wrong. Whatever you do, don't ignore it! Could possibly be a stretched rod causing the piston to slightly contact a valve like a 5.0 I 'USED" to have before a catastrophic failure (broke valve stuck in piston :notnice: )

Jaswir,

The lifter is the piece that rides on the camshaft lobe, the pushrod rides on the lifter, and the rocker clamps down on the pushrod.

Yes, you do have to remove the lower intake to get to the lifters.

You can start the engine with the valve cover off, but some oil will splash around. Shouldn't be too much, but expect some. That might help you locate exactly which lifter it is, if a lifter is the problem.

If you have a buddy who's used to working on V8's, or even better 5.0's, see if you can talk them into helping you. I'm sure you can do it, but having someone with more knowledge around always helps.

Good luck!

Jeff

ok this is what i have done...

try adding heavy oil (10w 40) instead of 10w 30 like i normally run

pulled off vavle covers... checked everything out and everything is tight and torqued down to specs!

this tick is LOUD and im sure it might be the lifters im not driving the car now,,,,

i know its not my headers... it loud and i can tell where its coming from... i guess i will take it to someone to look at... so i know what to fix.... just to make sure... i don't want to do all that work and it end up not being the lifters...

should i take off the rockers in the back and look at the rods???

Jaswir said:
i know its not my headers... it loud and i can tell where its coming from... i guess i will take it to someone to look at... so i know what to fix.... just to make sure... i don't want to do all that work and it end up not being the lifters...

should i take off the rockers in the back and look at the rods???

Does the tick sound like a miss or metal hitting metal? You're timing could be off or maybe even something else simple.