Loudest catted x-pipe

burkcs

Jan 26, 2008
I have a Shelby GT. I like the exhuast note but would like to make it louder. I was considering swapping the stock x-pipe out for an aftermarket pipe. I like the pipes that are modular allowing you to run straight pipes or cats. (i.e. bassani or pypes). I contact pypes exhaust and they did not think there catted x-pipe would be louder then my x-pipe (FRPP). Keep in mind the FRPP x-pipe only replaced the stock GT H section not the cats. I still have the stock cats.

In all of the previous Mustangs I have owned the after market x-pipes were a noticable difference in sound.

Opinions appreciated.

I bought the bassani x pipe that you can switch from catted to off road. The bassani cats are way better than the stock ones and much louder, I noticed a huge difference. I actually dont know if I will ever go off road since i think it will be way too loud for my residential neighborhood and shared driveway

Cats tend to be designed more for flow and emissions performance rather than sound, so when comparing HIGH FLOW cats, there probably will not be a large difference between x-pipes from different brands. Since mufflers are designed solely for sound control (eg. #/shape/size/location of baffles), your best bet in changing volume is with an axle back system.