Progress Thread Low budget 89 LX build, Car is apart again

I'd pull that thing apart and check how the gears, dog teeth, and blocker rings look. It looks well weathered.

The 4 cylinder transmission I've had for many years has lived behind some real power with no modifications. The T5 z spec on my shelf had issues with second gear years ago. Still haven't put it behind anything else. Now, I have a tko600 and will never look back.

Still a good catch at the JY. I would've bought it too. I thought you only needed to change the input and bearing retainer. Its been almost 20yrs since I converted one for a fox.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh yeah, that's the plan, this has the electronic speedo, that's why the tail shaft housing needs changed, and add a speedo gear.

Reactions: 1 users
Time for a quick update, I pulled the motor and transmission on Saturday, no pics, I was working on it in between helping a friend with his car, but everything came apart like I had done it before or something. I have transmission parts coming this week, so maybe next weekend will be T5 cleanup-upgrades, I'll document all of that when it happens.

I do have pics of a related project, I wanted one of these, but in case you guys haven't figured out, I'm cheap, err uh, frugal.
SVE SBF EFI Engine Lift Plate 5.0L/5.8L - LMR.com
So I decided to see what I could come up with. I made a trip to a fab shop around the corner from my house, they have always hooked me up with steel for cheap, especially if it comes out of their scrap pile, so $5 got me this, they even cut it to the measurements I asked for.

I wanted it to fit the H.O. intake and the Explorer intake

I cut these with a 1 1/2 hole saw

All welded up

Test fit, I did go buy better bolts and washers. It worked great, and for only $5 and an hour or so of my time, I'm happy with it.

Reactions: 8 users
The one he linked from LMR is $69.99. $42 is still a lot considering how cheaply one could be made even if one bought the steel rather than getting cheaper scrap. Maybe I should make one.

GravyDog - What a transformation! Any progress on the engine swap?
Oh, it's been done, I was going to do a write up with a bunch of pictures, but realized it would take me 2-3 hours of typing and talked myself out of it. It runs real strong, I never made it to the track last year, I've gotten back into motorcycles and the Fox body takes a back burner sometimes.
I've made some other changes too, 3.73 gears, got some new used wheels, but don't really like the skinnys up front, I have been gathering parts for a 5 lug swap, but haven't found any wheels I like yet, also bought a Pypes catback system I haven't installed yet. Here's a couple of pics of how the car sits right now, hope to get to the track sometime this year, but I have a lot going on.

Reactions: 5 users
Looks great!

Bill

Yeah, we don't deserve to read about the progress and peek at a few pics of what it took to transform a turd into a shiny cruiser.
After all it's been done before.