Progress Thread Low budget 89 LX build, Car is apart again

• Sponsors (?)

I'd pull that thing apart and check how the gears, dog teeth, and blocker rings look. It looks well weathered.

The 4 cylinder transmission I've had for many years has lived behind some real power with no modifications. The T5 z spec on my shelf had issues with second gear years ago. Still haven't put it behind anything else. Now, I have a tko600 and will never look back.

Still a good catch at the JY. I would've bought it too. I thought you only needed to change the input and bearing retainer. Its been almost 20yrs since I converted one for a fox.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd pull that thing apart and check how the gears, dog teeth, and blocker rings look. It looks well weathered.

The 4 cylinder transmission I've had for many years has lived behind some real power with no modifications. The T5 z spec on my shelf had issues with second gear years ago. Still haven't put it behind anything else. Now, I have a tko600 and will never look back.

Still a good catch at the JY. I would've bought it too. I thought you only needed to change the input and bearing retainer. Its been almost 20yrs since I converted one for a fox.
Oh yeah, that's the plan, this has the electronic speedo, that's why the tail shaft housing needs changed, and add a speedo gear.

Reactions: 1 users
Time for a quick update, I pulled the motor and transmission on Saturday, no pics, I was working on it in between helping a friend with his car, but everything came apart like I had done it before or something. I have transmission parts coming this week, so maybe next weekend will be T5 cleanup-upgrades, I'll document all of that when it happens.

I do have pics of a related project, I wanted one of these, but in case you guys haven't figured out, I'm cheap, err uh, frugal.
SVE SBF EFI Engine Lift Plate 5.0L/5.8L - LMR.com
So I decided to see what I could come up with. I made a trip to a fab shop around the corner from my house, they have always hooked me up with steel for cheap, especially if it comes out of their scrap pile, so $5 got me this, they even cut it to the measurements I asked for.
IMG_20201201_190100432.jpg

I wanted it to fit the H.O. intake and the Explorer intake
IMG_20201201_190415234.jpg

IMG_20201201_195244699.jpg

I cut these with a 1 1/2 hole saw
IMG_20201201_195256660.jpg

All welded up
IMG_20201202_171947845.jpg

Test fit, I did go buy better bolts and washers. It worked great, and for only $5 and an hour or so of my time, I'm happy with it.

Reactions: 8 users
The one he linked from LMR is $69.99. $42 is still a lot considering how cheaply one could be made even if one bought the steel rather than getting cheaper scrap. Maybe I should make one.

GravyDog - What a transformation! Any progress on the engine swap?
Oh, it's been done, I was going to do a write up with a bunch of pictures, but realized it would take me 2-3 hours of typing and talked myself out of it. It runs real strong, I never made it to the track last year, I've gotten back into motorcycles and the Fox body takes a back burner sometimes.
I've made some other changes too, 3.73 gears, got some new used wheels, but don't really like the skinnys up front, I have been gathering parts for a 5 lug swap, but haven't found any wheels I like yet, also bought a Pypes catback system I haven't installed yet. Here's a couple of pics of how the car sits right now, hope to get to the track sometime this year, but I have a lot going on.
IMG_20210822_142834852.jpg

IMG_20210920_192004321 (1).jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Oh, it's been done, I was going to do a write up with a bunch of pictures, but realized it would take me 2-3 hours of typing and talked myself out of it. It runs real strong, I never made it to the track last year, I've gotten back into motorcycles and the Fox body takes a back burner sometimes.
I've made some other changes too, 3.73 gears, got some new used wheels, but don't really like the skinnys up front, I have been gathering parts for a 5 lug swap, but haven't found any wheels I like yet, also bought a Pypes catback system I haven't installed yet. Here's a couple of pics of how the car sits right now, hope to get to the track sometime this year, but I have a lot going on.

Looks great!

Bill

Yeah, we don't deserve to read about the progress and peek at a few pics of what it took to transform a turd into a shiny cruiser.
After all it's been done before. :mad: