Low dyno numbers

795.0pacecar

lover of pudgy polygamists
Jul 11, 2003
Senoia, GA
Combos in my sig. I tried different fuel pressures and timing and the best was with 15º base timing and 39psi. Im going to do a compression test next weekend. The only thing I can think of otherwise is the heads are too big for my combo and there just isn't enough velocity. What do you guys think. It kind of sucks that the only thing I gained was a cool sounding idle.

pict0655zu7.jpg
pict0652hp3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The curves look really nice, but I do agree, I would have expected more. I think your on the right track, maybe just a mismatch on the parts. Take this combo to the track and get those numbers, make it a lot easier to see if you are happy where it is!

Yeah, thats what I plan to do because in the end how fast it runs is what really matters. Maybe in a few months I may switch over to some TFS heads. At the very least it feels quite a bit faster, probably because after the power comes on it stays on to limiter.

+1 From everything I have read about, most people are running those heads on strokers and 351's, they are probably a little too big.

maybe just match the cam to them and you would be screaming:nice:

Hhm... you should be making quite a bit more than that really, I'd say there is a pretty big mismatch between those heads and that cam. Some longtubes would probably help a bit as well. My car with a stock 200k mile longblock (stock H/C/I/TB/MAS) with pulleys, ebay cai, msd box, and Longtubes/h pipe/blowmasters made 225 rwhp, and ran 13.56 @ 99 mph, so if you do run it before you change anything, that might be some numbers to compare to.

I would think a bigger cam would be a better match for the heads. Those are Vic Jr knockoffs with 2.05 valves and a lot of runner volume. Not sure of the cross section, but I'll guess it's same or close to the Vic Jr.

Did you check the port alignment between the lower intake and the heads? I've heard of significant mismatch in this area with those heads.

The ports actually lined up perfectly. Everyone has been tellin me its the cam and A/F mixture, even the guy runnin the dyno. I was trying to avoid having to notch the pistons but I guess theres really no way around that. What off the shelf cam would you guys recommend? I will go custom but I'd like to get an idea on how big it might be.

All that money you were going to invest in a set of TFS. Just get a budget stroker kit. Since you're another daily driver anyway. The extra cubes will help you really take advantage of those heads. And get the bigger cam like I told you on corral, lol. Also get a tune. Forgot to tell you that on the corral. And I found a few places that still sell those wheels. Even in a five lug. Isnt the camaro/firebird still a 5x4.5?

Where did you have it dynoed? I live in Griffin. Just curious.

Coupe Performance, in Covington. The guy who owns the place (Scott) posts on the streetcarforums.com

I hadn't thought of the stroker thing, thats not a bad idea. One of the guys on the corral lives real close to me and next weekend he said he will introduce me to the guy who tuned his car. So I may go that route since its not a huge expense and wont create alot of down time for my car.

Its not the cam either. There are alot of people making 300+rwhp with a stg 1 cam.

What is the combustion chamber size? Isn't it like 70cc? I'm almost certain the Victor Jrs are. The procomp heads don't flow that well either. They are also known to have large differences in flow from port to port. They don't flow any better than a set of TFS TW,but with a whole lot more port volume.

Its not the cam either. There are alot of people making 300+rwhp with a stg 1 cam.

Just because "someone" made power with that cam does not mean it will work in his set-up.

The TFS-1 cam is a very mild cam designed to work primarly with the TW heads. The heads pacecar have are MUCH larger and pretty different design wise. This would require different valve train events and such.. aka a poor miss-match of the tfs-1 cam.