Low mile 1996 351W cam question??

89gt89

May 28, 2005
Bothell, WA
Ok guys, I have a very tired 89 5.0 motor that is in need of a swap. I bought a low mile 96 351W roller longblock out of a totalled Bronco. I pulled the heads for a cleaning and everything there looks great. I'm pulling the crank to replace the races on the main caps. The stock cam looks great as well. I have all the necessary parts to put the motor in my 89GT. I have long tube headers, 65mm throttle body, 351 GT40 upper and lower intakes, and 24lb injectors. Not looking to do much more than that. I need to know if it is worth while swapping the cam while motor is torn down, and what type I should use. I'm keeping the stock heads. Should I leave the stock cam in and call it good??? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

well

I guess more info is needed, what are your plans for the car? The fact that you are putting a 351 in place of the 302 suggests you want more performance. If thats the case, now is the easiest time to do cam/heads swap.

I plan on driving the car on weekends. No racing, maybe a trip to an autocross once in a while. My goal is to keep the current heads. My 5spd 302 has a stock H.O. cam in it. Anyone know if it's worth pulling that and popping it in the 351?

autocross

if you are planning on auto crossing you arent going to want a big cam that is gonna make hp/trq up high i say the 96 cam should be fine. but now would be the time to upgrade.

I figured the stock 5.8 cam would be cool. I bought the entire long block for $120 at the local PULL-A-PART. Going thru it for new seals, timimg chain, oil pump, and all the fox body conversion stuff. I was going to sell the old 89 but figured I'd keep her and have some fun with it. I'm a victim of sentiment since I've had the car for nearly 16 years and 200k miles. I'm wrapping up my 4banger 5.0 conversion on my 91 notch, $500 from the PULL-A-PART, and need something to fiddle with. I'll post a couple pics here in a sec.