Lower engine with engine mount mod.

vrooom

Apr 17, 2003
Midwest
A while back I saw a post about someone modifing their engine mounts to lower the engine. I think they were trying to fit a TKO into the tunnel without cutting it up. I don't really remember........

Does anyone have any info about this post or have anyone sucessfully done this?

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

The early '65, three piece motor mounts, hold the motor lower than the '66 style two piece mounts. I lowered the 351C in our '65 coup, 3/4" more, by redrilling the holes in the L or V shapped piece (middle piece of the three) of the early mounts. I have some photos if you would like to see them. Send me a email [email protected]

John

Opentracker said:
The early '65, three piece motor mounts, hold the motor lower than the '66 style two piece mounts. I lowered the 351C in our '65 coup, 3/4" more, by redrilling the holes in the L or V shapped piece (middle piece of the three) of the early mounts. I have some photos if you would like to see them. Send me a email [email protected]

John

Hello John,
You are just the person I was hoping to respond. I will drop you an email.

Thank you sir.

I got more than one request for more info. so I'm going to put it up here for us to use.

This is a stock mount with a through bolt it to hold it together. This is an old trick and it works. I've never broken a mount done like this.
motormount1.jpg

motormount2.jpg

This is a stock mount that has had a second hole drilled for the bolt from the motor mount and the through bolt. The top of the L or V ( middle piece ) has been cut down. The holes are 3/4" apart if I remember right. You can see the old/stock holes above the washer and through bolt. This mount had two through bolts before the mod was done.
motormountmod.jpg

The pin that goes through the hole in the frame mount will move from the inside of the hole to the outside. You may have to work it into place as the motor is lowered. This mount held up a 351C for eight years in my daily driver '64 Ranchero with a street/strip auto. (fast little truck), then our '65 coup street/track car with a Cleveland 4-speed.
turn71.jpg

John

Opentracker said:

John
John,
Is there any place on the after market where the 3 piece motor mounts are available?

Thanks