Lower HP expected from 2002 mustang?

Exas1999

Mar 10, 2021
UTAH
Last year I picked up a 2002 mustang gt with 113k miles on it, the guy before me had a huge list of mods on the car and I've added some along the way. He told me it has cams but I honestly don't feel like it does so I'm going to just list what I know the car has, and can anyone tell me if this sounds too low for what I have? Honestly I expected more, he told me the car isn't tuned but even so I feel like I should be making more

Mods:
Cat Back Borla Exhaust
75mm BBK TB
SR performance plenum
SR performance spacer
K&N CAI
BBK Headers (ik if short or long i need to check)
4.10 gears

P:S - All I put on the car was the plenum/spacer

And I'm putting down 227rwhp with all of that.

Few things, guy I bought it from was shady, I was really antsy for a deal so I bought it without doing a compression test or leak down (young and dumb never making that mistake again), I fixed the interior up, I just changed the clutch and I was about to put the money into rebuilding the rear diff as it's going out (like probably has 5k miles on it left it sounds really bad)

Again no tune on the car, I've been trying to decide whether or not to go Vortech on the car (was going to do a compression test before investing in that btw) or Trick Flow top end kit, so I was waiting before I tune the car.

But I feel like 227rwhp for all that, even untuned there's something fishy with that right? I've heard 2v don't respond the best to just bolt ons, you need a tune.

• Sponsors (?)

Last year I picked up a 2002 mustang gt with 113k miles on it, the guy before me had a huge list of mods on the car and I've added some along the way. He told me it has cams but I honestly don't feel like it does so I'm going to just list what I know the car has, and can anyone tell me if this sounds too low for what I have? Honestly I expected more, he told me the car isn't tuned but even so I feel like I should be making more

Mods:
Cat Back Borla Exhaust
75mm BBK TB
SR performance plenum
SR performance spacer
K&N CAI
4.10 gears

Few things, guy I bought it from was shady, I was really antsy for a deal so I bought it without doing a compression test or leak down (young and dumb never making that mistake again), I fixed the interior up, I just changed the clutch and I was about to put the money into rebuilding the rear diff as it's going out (like probably has 5k miles on it left it sounds really bad)

Again no tune on the car, I've been trying to decide whether or not to go Vortech on the car (was going to do a compression test before investing in that btw) or Trick Flow top end kit, so I was waiting before I tune the car.

But I feel like 227rwhp for all that, even untuned there's something fishy with that right? I've heard 2v don't respond the best to just bolt ons, you need a tune.
Also I forgot to mention, a month ago I heard a spring break, ignition coil went bye bye, had to tap a new spark plug thread, previous owner imo ran NOS, he told me he didn't but he had a gauge setup in the car and the diff is really bad and the tranny has some issues.

Mods:
Cat Back Borla Exhaust
75mm BBK TB
SR performance plenum
SR performance spacer
K&N CAI
4.10 gears

They are probably shorty headers with those numbers (allows you to keep the stock midpipe). I’d get rid of the spacer (adding more pre TB intake length does nothing for a fuel injected car, spacers are from the carburetor era). Full boltons and a tune will put you at around 260rwhp on a dynojet (Mustang dyno might give a little bit less).

These cars respond really well to boost. If more power is your goal I’d finish up all the maintenance concerns first then look to forced induction.

They are probably shorty headers with those numbers (allows you to keep the stock midpipe). I’d get rid of the spacer (adding more pre TB intake length does nothing for a fuel injected car, spacers are from the carburetor era). Full boltons and a tune will put you at around 260rwhp on a dynojet (Mustang dyno might give a little bit less).

These cars respond really well to boost. If more power is your goal I’d finish up all the maintenance concerns first then look to forced induction.
Thank you for the info! I took the spacer off and honestly it feels like it did before, I noticed after putting it on it felt weaker for awhile. I'm getting a compression test done at a shop and leak down and at that point I'll be heading for F/I setup this year, thinking vortech and a safe tune I'd honestly be fine with a comfy 350rwhp.

Those mods are no where NEAR the money they cost. These motors dont respond to minor bolt-ons AT ALL
Thank goodness most of it was done by the guy before me lol, you're honestly right and I learned that the hard way (70$ for a spacer and 100$ for a plenum).

I'll probably be getting my car tuned to last me for the rest of this year as I work on getting a suspension kit and fixing up the exterior then I'll head for F/I.

Honestly makes more sense, I'd say I'm close to the first video, I took the spacer off (ever since I put that on it's felt like the acceleration was a little weird).
The car isn't tuned what so ever so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Let's say with a tune I get to 240rwhp (fingers crossed honestly from 227rwhp) Would you say that maybe with trick flow top end/tune I could get to 300-310rwhp? I have a shop in town and called them they're willing to install the kit.

300-310 I'd be super happy with

Before putting any additional mods on make sure your compression test comes back positive. Worse case scenario you need a rebuild. Especially if NOS was used. Id say there are more pressing issues like maintenance, vacuum leaks, check engine light and making sure the car is sound before I would start to add horsepower mods. You want a mechanically sound car before doing mods. I have over 400hp on my 2v NA. Your hp will come from cams, heads and increasing compression will net you almost 140 additional horsepower. Of course my heads(trickflow) and intake are both ported and i have a stage 3 cam. The tune also makes a difference in netting 10 to 20 more horsepower depending if NA or forced induction.