Lower Intake Manifold Remove 3.8L

rodmunera

Apr 29, 2004
I have a 97 V6 3.8L Convertible. I was changing the thermostat and when I was putting back the housing, the bolt that goes into the Lower intake manifold broke off. I can't get it out so I'm going to remove it and take it to a machine shop to have the bolt removed and the holes rethreaded.

The upper intake manifold is off and the fuel rig is unplugged and before I can go into the lower intake manifold I have to remove the Heater tube that goes from the water pump all the way over the manifold to the back of the engine.

I removed the bolt (only one I saw) that holds the tube to the water pump and the tube won't come out. It wiggles a little bit and it turns a little too but I don't know if there's another bolt I'm not seeing or that is not obvious that must be removed.

Or if If there's a special tool to remove the tube from the pump.

How can I get this tube off?

R.

• Sponsors (?)

I'll give that a try, I didn't know about the ez out but because of the location of the thermostat housing bolt holes it would've been near to impossible to get to it without removing the lower intake manifold.

I've pulled hard on that sucker for over 4 days and all I've gotten is a sore lower back. I even used an iron crowbar to get some leverage and got nothing. I did drop some motor oil in the tube/pump junction and that's what loosened it up a bit but I'll give liquid wrench a try and see.

have you had to break a heater tube off in order to get it out of the pump? I'll post some pics to illustrate the reason why I can't twist it.
:bang:

It worked!, it was just really stuck there, I put some extra penetrant liquid wrench, let it soak overnight and the next day I got in there and pulled the crap out of it and it just came off. I finally got the LIM off, sent it to a machine shop, and they removed the broken bolt and installed a helicoil for $26.50, and they threw in a couple of bolts that would fit. I changed the gaskets, installed a 160 F thermostat (factory is 195 F I believe) and the overheating problem was solved!

I also had to refill the system and clean the old gaskets from the engine block and the manifolds (they were really glued there), plus the silicone they used on the block/manifold gaskets. I have some pictures at my home computer but I forgot to take the pics with the LIM off so that won't be shown.

My car is runing way cooler and better than before!
Noy my next project is getting the convertible top motor to work. I used it last on the fall last year and it was working perfectly. I didn't use it during the winter and on the first day of spring I tried to take it off and the motor wouldn't even make a sound.

I finally got the Factory Service Manual from Helm and it cost $85 + S/H. I hope to be able to fix that and change the outer lining of the soft top since it's tore in a couple of places and it's letting water in when it rains.