lrs block?

93project

Apr 21, 2009
El Paso, tx
Anyone have a LRS shortblock? The $700 one? I need a stock type bottom end for a set of E Street heads and a mild cam. I'm not going for huge power on my 93 anymore since it's going to be a garage queen that only sees nice weather. Anyway, how is this block with durability? A friend of mine spent $2000 on a CHP 347 that spun two rod bearings in it's first month and CHP gave him the big F-U on warranty because it's a "race block". He's now spending $180 on fel pro hi po gaskets, and a few hundred more on block machining and new bearings. I just want to keep it simple

• Sponsors (?)

I was just looking over the specifications of it, and it appears they use cast pistons, not even hypereutectic. Personally, I'd stay away, but that's because you and I both know plans tend to evolve and end up making more power as time goes on. If you can find a used 5.0L shortblock that's still in running condition, you could very likely refresh it for under the $700 pricetag on that one, at least going with a higher quality pistons. The stock crank and rods will hold up to quite a bit of power and with ARP rod bolts, could likely outlive the block in power holding capabilities. If anything, check with Rick 91GT on here. He might have some stuff just sitting around his shop that he could assemble you a nice, simple shortblock for under that price, too.