LS1 in a mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
300bhp/ton said:
As you have already agreeded that there is no replacement for displacement then why not look at engines like an 8.0 Dodge Viper unit (must be available 2nd hand), it may be a tight squeeze but WOW what a car.

Already looked into it.... that big block has NO chance of fitting.... in a 99 at least :p

• Sponsors (?)

Barrier said:
Already looked into it.... that big block has NO chance of fitting.... in a 99 at least :p
thats a real shame although I'm sure nothing an angle grinder and gas axe can't fit.

After all I've seen a Chevy big block (550bhp) in MINI :D

Edit: A real Mini not a German imposter. :nono:

ponygirl74 said:
OMG, what's next? The Cobra 5.4 in Civic . . . . puleeze :puke:
well if I had the money I would buy one of these:
DAX-RUSH-MC.jpg

rush_01.jpg

Its a Dax Rush, light weight RWD. And fit something like an LS1 or big block to it. Def no less than about 650bhp. All up weight should be about 850kg (about 1900lbs) so giving it a power to weight ratio of about 820bhp/ton :D

To get that out of a Mustang you would need in the region of 1360bhp :rlaugh:

The only issue might be keeping the damn thing on the ground.
:nice:

Tony01GT said:
Has anyone ever done it? Is it possible? I'm sick of think about how much money is spent putting power adders on our cars and only getting N/A power of a LS1. What would it take to put a LS1 in a mustang? I just found out the other day that a camaro that I lost to (the only car I lost to) has a 424ci LS1 in it that is putting down anywhere from 500-600+ hp tp the wheels. You will never see that out of a mustang. It must be done and I know its wrong but it has to happen sooner or later! :lol: :bang:

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: chevy motors belong in chevys and ford motors in fords. why is it that so many people in here latley want too turn there car into a abortion :shrug:

why not put in a 03-04 cobra motor. the cost will be less after all things are considered. and it will kill a LS-1 trust me it will cost THOUSANDS of dollars just too get that LS-1 or a regular 350 to work in a 96+ stang

this is not the 50's our cars have many modules that depend on inputs from other modules. all modules are tied into a network.. you will need too adress the pats issues. abs will be gone. so the whole brake system needs too be done. and not just buy new parts. i mean redesign the system. the abs module has too have inputs fromt he PCM. and your PCM will not be there on the network anymore.

some of your elctornics will not work because they are all controled by the GEM module. and the GEM will not be able too work in your chevy/ford setup. because there is no matching pcm too comunicate with.

the insturment cluster will not work. the ICM ( instrument cluster module) is the hub for the network. without the pcm and abs and gem. the instument cluster will not work properly.

you could do abortion motor swaps on the old fox bodys because they did not have module communication. for one all they had was a pcm. everything else was regular electronics.

i could go on for hours about how bad of a idea these swaps are. the best thing you can do is a 03-04 cobra swap. using a whole wrecked car, that way you have access too the whole harness and all the modules.

remember in a 03-04 cobra swap if you do that you will need atleast the PCM and ICM from the same car.

in case you did not read my whole post.

DO NOT TRY THIS SWAP.. YOU WILL CREATE A AWFULL MESS AND IT WILL COST MORE THN THE CAR IS WORTH TOO FIX IT.

Anyone can make a Chevy go fast, but making a Ford go fast, thats the challenge. That's why we mod Fords. The only replacement for displacement is boost. Thats what Ford gave us, so thats what we have to deal with. I don't see why everyone is drooling over 500hp NA V8. No matter how an engine makes power (NA, Supercharged, Turbo, Nitrous) 500hp/500tq is 500hp/500tq, whether its a 5.7L Chevy or a Supercharged 4.6L Ford.

Tony01GT said:
I know, but when its done we'll see.haha :rlaugh: oh man this is so wrong

I personally would just feel retarded with an LS1 Chevy engine in my Ford. Thats....just not right. Seriously, you might get laughed at on the street. I would laugh at a guy, if I saw him in a Z28 with an 04 Cobra engine in it :shrug:

I think you should just stay with a power adder. Or just get a Cobra man. They are really nice and fast. It would def smoke a stock LS1...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/catalogs.asp
for some 351 ci and 392 strokers

I don't remember but I know I saw some 5.4 nav. engines as crates
this ones old Item Number:735
Date Added:2004-12-06

Surplus deal on Ford Navigator 5.4L engines 32 valve
Fits 1999-2004 (5)
New take outs $3877.60 u.s.

http://competitiveautoparts.com/search.php?catagory=Ford

I also am running an LS1 (2003 vette) with z06 heads and mild cam and headers it makes 450hp, 400tq-cubic inch is hard to beat.
we are always looking the run with something a little stronger -be it mustang, vette, viper whatever thats part of the challenge

Tony01GT said:
so now I got three choices.
1:Built LS1
2:Built 350 (need details)
3:wait for MPH to come out with a new set-up.
~regardless, thank you all for your input and for not flaming me too bad! Still need details though.

350? What engine are you talking about.

Call Al at Boss330 and discuss your needs. Hands down, one of the best engine builders out there.

RedGTvert said:
A properly built 5.4 DOHC will see 500+rwhp N/A. The best in the business right now is Boss330 racing when it comes to 5.4's. He will be doing my 4.6 4V this fall/winter, and will easily see 400rwhp.

Its still pointless. How much will it cost to make your 4.6 4v 400 HP? You take an LS1 and do breathing mods (full exhaust, intake, manifold, maf) and you will exceed 400HP. You can probably get a stock ls1 up to 400HP with just about less than 1k. I hate to say it, but these cammer engines just don't respond as well to modifications as a pushrod motor. Look at the 302....you can bolt an eddy (or trick flow) manifold, do some exhaust work, computer upgrades and that thing will be bangin out 320 HP no problem.

I love the idea, i've been wondering about it too.

Think about it, the BEST of both worlds.

Mustang:
huge engine bay to work in, working on LS1 motors in LS1 cars, sucks.
The factory suspension is much better than the camaro for strieght line racing.
the 8.8 rear is a stouter piece than the 10-bolt, GM uses.

LS1:
The best V-8 built today,
all-aluminum,
and strong, i have a close friend in a formula that broke into 10's on the stock shortblock and heads, with 12psi on over 10:1 compression on 94 octane!!

it would be sweet.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310361
here is a link to a thread Jeremy from nitrous express sent me about the dedicated fuel system for the nitrous i was talking about earlier. that is for whoever said they want to know how my motor will blow up when i run 250+ hp shot. its a realy cool system.

well..now I'm going to wait till fall for MPH to come out with their new block before I jump into a LS1. I don't know any details of it yet but I don't want to regret going LS1 when I maybe could've done something better. But I'm still doing my research on the LS1. here is some of the stuff I got so far.
-Chevy LS1 Aluminum Block 374, 383, and 393cu in. for $2,299
-6.0 L iron block 398, 408, 414 cu in. for $2,999
-painless engine management system $1,299
-or $5,999 for a LS1 longblock with everything, ECM, wiring harness, injectors, TB, exhaust, flexplate, etc.

first of all the ls1 cars have better suspension, brakes, rigidity than a mustang. ls1 does not use the same motor mounts as a sbc. sorry if this has been said before, but i think if you want an ls1 just get a camaro or a 95 bmw 3 series and put it in that, swap kits already available for those and then you wouldn't have to hear all the crap from die hard chevy/ford guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.