Suspension Lurn me on rack mounting bushings

I've used regular bushings, offset aluminum bushings and offset urethane bushings. I also agree with TIGGER that i couldn't tell the difference between solid and urethane.
IMO, just use regular straight through bushings and fix bumpsteer with a tie rod kit.

And Mike is correct, to get it right you really need to run through measuring it. But that's not to say anyone really does.
It's also much easier to correct the tie rod angle by using pictures than it is to do with your eyes. Align the camera straight on and take a pic and then determine what you do.

My car was a little bit of a train wreck.
Lowered, aftermarket k member, engine swap MM arms. I'm pretty sure i have the offsets in upside down to get oil pan clearance then i needed the good MM kit that needs the spindles drilled to get it close.
After an alignment (need tires first) i will see how it rides and determine if i take further action like measuring.
BTW, i believe the MM bumpsteer kit calls for an alignment, then set up for bumpsteer, then another alignment.

• Sponsors (?)

BTW, i believe the MM bumpsteer kit calls for an alignment, then set up for bumpsteer, then another alignment.

Yup. The entire process is a PITA which is why nobody does it. Biggest pain is pulling the springs so you can run through the range of travel. Easier to do with coil-overs, but a pain with conventional suspension.

I've done the process once, and not really sure I want to do it again. Realistically, it's a bigger issue for you if you are roadracing where hitting a dip in a high G corner might upset the balance of the vehicle. For us dudes street driving, it's probably less critical. Get it close and call it a day.

Realistically, it's a bigger issue for you if you are roadracing where hitting a dip in a high G corner might upset the balance of the vehicle. For us dudes street driving, it's probably less critical. Get it close and call it a day.
The speed bump in front of Winn Dixie is a doozy.........LOL.... Its a grocery getter....

Looking for a little help here... I'm currently installing an '04 rack in my '79 mustang with original k-member.

I didn't understand what the possible solutions were for installing a SN95 steering rack into a pre-1985 foxbody k-member were.

My question is can I just use '79 original bolts and replacement bushings in an '04 rack?
I found Rock Auto has '79 replacements with the metal sleeve in bushing for ~$20/pair.

Or do I need to convert to the later foxbody style with a separate sleeve and smaller diameter bolt?
Bolts:
Sleeves:

Any info you have is appreciated!

Looking for a little help here... I'm currently installing an '04 rack in my '79 mustang with original k-member.

I didn't understand what the possible solutions were for installing a SN95 steering rack into a pre-1985 foxbody k-member were.

My question is can I just use '79 original bolts and replacement bushings in an '04 rack?
I found Rock Auto has '79 replacements with the metal sleeve in bushing for ~$20/pair.

Or do I need to convert to the later foxbody style with a separate sleeve and smaller diameter bolt?
Bolts:
Sleeves:

Any info you have is appreciated!
I converted my 83 to the newer version, separate sleeves and smaller diameter bolts.. The bolts came with the new rack...
I did have to drill out one side of the K member to insert the sleeves....
5L5 helped me by measuring the hole on his newer K frame... I " think " it was 3/4".....

One reason I converted is while the heavier bolts and the older style bushings looked heavier duty, they must be pressed in with a press.. I have tried to get the old ones out of the 83 rack with a hammer and wood, but they will not budge.....
Didn't want to fk around with that.... Newer version push on by hand and using the install nuts to help with the final press.....

I Had the best results my installing the inside bushings on the sleeve, installing the rack on these bushings, then installing the outside bushings on sleeve and rack at the same time... After you get them started, install the large washer and nuts and slowily press them in......

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to follow up here with a simple solution I found....
I did find the correct bushings with sleeves to fit the '79-84 larger diameter bolts.
The new ones do not require pressing in, although I was not able to remove the old ones without a press.

These are a cheap Cardone option in urethane, PN 22-207MB. I got them 1-day delivered for ~$28.
Amazon product ASIN B007ETFS98
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ETFS98?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Converting to the 1985 and later style is an option, but might not be necessary.

IMG_1622.jpg IMG_1623.jpg IMG_1628.jpg

Reactions: 1 user