MAC Catback Exhaust Questions

mjaggy

Dec 14, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, here's the deal. This may sound a bit n00bish, but I've gotta learn eventually!

Ok, so I am considering buying the MAC CatBack 99-04 GT w/ 2.5" Tips from Partshopper. Since these are GT, what would I need to do to make them fit onto my V6 and how much would all of this cost including installation from a shop? Also, is the MAC a reliable option and can they last through winter and ice and the road salt and all that garbage well? And most of all, do the MAC cats sound good?

With mufflers, you can buy mufflers and put them on instead of the normal/cat mufflers for even better sound, right? If not, what's the deal with mufflers?

• Sponsors (?)

i have a slightly different version of those pipes, same mufflers though. you will have to get a mid-pipe. you can either get one or go down to a QUALITY exhaust shop and have them manufacture you one. i chose the latter of the two. my system is welded straight back, 2.25" off the headers, into a 2.25" x-pipe, however the mulffler shop cut off the 2.5" flowtubes and welded on some 2.25" ones. It sounds great, the video I had posted does NOT do this exhaust justice.

the only difference in mine and the one on partshopper is that mine dont have the 2 foot tips on the pipes....lol.

heres some pics of mine.

xfront.jpg

xback.jpg

mjaggy said:
Ok, here's the deal. This may sound a bit n00bish, but I've gotta learn eventually!

Ok, so I am considering buying the MAC CatBack 99-04 GT w/ 2.5" Tips from Partshopper. Since these are GT, what would I need to do to make them fit onto my V6 and how much would all of this cost including installation from a shop? Also, is the MAC a reliable option and can they last through winter and ice and the road salt and all that garbage well? And most of all, do the MAC cats sound good?

With mufflers, you can buy mufflers and put them on instead of the normal/cat mufflers for even better sound, right? If not, what's the deal with mufflers?

Hey buddy check this out... http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6ypcb.htm
They make them so that it fits the V6. If you were to get this one, which is the same thing you were asking about except for the v6 not the v8, you wouldn't even have to take it to a shop, its an easy bolt on. I used to have it, and it sounds really nice, but its not THAT loud, if you want REALLY loud, you'll have to go with flowmasters or something, OR true duals, which for that you'll definitly have to take it to a shop.
And yes, if you were to get the macs, and you don't like the sound of it and want to change it's mufflers you can, just cut off the macs and weld the new ones on, if you can do it good, if not, again, a shop.

And regarding the whole will it last through winter and stuff, well i live in Florida, so I can't really tell you from experience, but from reading other posts around here, people say macs will end up rustying and falling off if you drive on roads with salt and stuff. You'll have to get an actual answer from somebody who does live in the snow though cause I may be mistaken.
Anyways, whatever you get, good luck!