Mac O/R H Pipe Install

I'm thinking about installing the O/R H pipe tomorrow on my '01 Bullitt subject to garage floor temperature. :)

I want to make sure I don't run in to any problems so I have a few questions. Mine is the three piece design so that should make it easier to install with no lift (maybe).

I know to soak all of the nuts with PB Blaster. Mine has been off and on enough though that I'm not too worried about them being stuck. Should I replace the nuts?

I know to replace the gasket on the passenger side. Should I get one from Ford to be safe or use the one that came with the pipe? It does look pretty flimsy.

Should I go ahead and pick up an O2 sensor socket? Can I get them out with the pipe still in place or should I try?

I've read conflicting stories about the studs on the driver side exhaust manifold needing to be replaced because they have a shoulder and the pipe will not tighten up completely. Anyone WITH THIS SPECIFIC midpipe have to do this?

Any other tips will be nice.

• Sponsors (?)

i would just unplug the sensors then pull the stock midpipe out that way to can just remove them easiers and with a regular wrench....DO NOT use the gasket that came with the midpipe go and get a new metal one so you wont have to do it again later on....and did yours come with a insert sleeve? if it did use it it goes on the drivers side. mine bolted up very niceley with no leak or anything..

Mine has been off and on enough though that I'm not too worried about them being stuck.

That's the main issue right there, you're fortunate in that you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I didn't have any issues with installing mine. In fact, due to a stubborn inspector :mad: I had to remove it, install the stock one to pass inspection, then remove the stock one and reinstall the o/r one. This was pretty easy and didn't take long, but was still a waste of time.

Buy the ford crush gasket, it'll save you the time of taking it all off again when it leaks. Use some copper rtv too it'll seal it up nice because little leaks do appear. I have the 3-piece mac o/r h too, and I found that it fit best by bolting everything up without tightening the bolts (in other words, just mocking it up) and then tightening slowly in a pattern from bolt to bolt so it all tightens into place. For the O2's, just disconnect them and wrench them off with a crescent wrench once the stock midpipe is off the car. When you install the new midpipe, make sure that the rear O2's don't rub on the tranny mount and guard, because they fit pretty snug near the tranny on the o/r. Use PB blaster, and get a friend to help you! Saves lots of time; that or have plenty of jack stands or extra floor jacks around to raise the pipes (assuming you aren't using a lift). Good luck man, it's all worth it when you hear it turn on right after install :drool:

And no i didn't buy new manifold studs, although it was a pain to get those studs totally tightened up, I had to have a shop break them loose on the stock midpipe with an impact gun and tighten them up once I was done putting on the mac midpipe.