Mach 460 adding amp sub

dusty430

Jul 1, 2004
Hello,

I just bought a Rockford Punch amp 2 channel 3002 as well as a 12" Rockford Punch stage 3 sub for my 01 mustang vert w/ mach 460. I used an in-line converter from the rear speakers after it comes from the amp to use for the RCA's. I hooked up everything and all that comes out of the sub is high pitched sound and no base. I took it to the place I bought it from and they switched the amp for a MTX amp mono channel and when he hooked it up good base was coming out until he unplugged the RCA's and then hooked them back up it started to smoke. We then hooked back up the Fosgate amp and it is still doing the same thing only hi pitched music. Can anyone help me with this, any help will be appreciated. Also how can I tell which is negative and positive for the rear speakers? I looked at the wiring diagram and believe I have the right connections. Rear right positive is Orange and Red. Left Rear positive is Grey and blue.

Does anyone know where the best place is to tap into for a low frequency?

• Sponsors (?)

Two things that it could be. The first one is that you have the wrong wires tapped into, if there is a high pitch coming from the sub then you found a high level lead. The other is, that you have the right wires but you need to pull them from behind the headunit and not from the rear of the car. The reason for this is because you need to get the signal before it is amplified, which could result in the high frequency noise.

i am using the stock system, i really dont want my car broken into AGAIN, so i'm on stealth mode with the stock head unit..... i had a local shop that i trust do the install for me. let me talk to him to see how he did it. mine is a vert also. i know he used a converter and tapped into the stock wires (that run my stock subs). i would tell you 2 just ditch the mach 460 and get new stuff unless you are like me and dont want anyone to know what you have in the trunk. i'll post back in the afternoon after i talk to him....