• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Mach Stereo help!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter 03Roush2
  • Start date Start date Apr 22, 2004

03Roush2

New Member
Apr 18, 2004
27
0
0
Apr 22, 2004
#1
  • Apr 22, 2004
  • #1
So i went do my local sound shop and was prepared to buy a new clarion flip out indash Head untit. Unfortunately they told me that they could do it, BUT it would sound like **** and i wouldnt get full volume!! They said the only way to put a new head unit in would be to gut the whole system, put new speaker, amps, and a head unit in. Is this true, what the hell should i do?
 

DELOS02GT

Founding Member
Jun 4, 2002
461
0
0
Naperville, IL
Apr 22, 2004
#2
  • Apr 22, 2004
  • #2
Welcome to the world of the Mach stereo. You can put a new head unit in but you need a special harness for it. If you want to put in diff. speakers you will need to rewire the whole thing. From what I was told the stock amps use 2 ohm and almost all aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. If you try and put them in they will sound like crap. So you can just do a head unit but if you want to upgrade the speakers and head unit....you need to spend some $$. I'm not sure what the part # is on the harness for the head unit....someone on here should have it.
 

AdRock

Member
Nov 13, 2003
521
1
19
South Texas
Apr 22, 2004
#3
  • Apr 22, 2004
  • #3
No, it's not true. A friend of mine had a nice Pioneer unit put in his '01 with the Mach system. Best Buy put it in. They did have a hard time figuring out the wiring but they got it in there and it works great.
 

03Roush2

New Member
Apr 18, 2004
27
0
0
Apr 22, 2004
#4
  • Apr 22, 2004
  • #4
he said it would work, but i woiuldnt hear anything until i got to 3 on the dial and at lower volumes i would hear a humming sound. he also said i would only hear a volume increase up to 16 on the clarion dial, whereas it goes all the way up to 32?? I trust this guy, he is a friend of mine and owns the shop (they just did LeBron's H2). . . .
 

shaddixstang

New Member
Jan 27, 2004
66
0
0
Destin, FL
Apr 22, 2004
#5
  • Apr 22, 2004
  • #5
I just installed a flip face head unit in my car. Sounds great. Got all the parts I needed at wal-mart. You need a scosche premium sound stereo harness and then you need a scosche line out converter. I forgot the wiring harness number. The line out converter part number is SLC4. It has a setting on it for factory amp interface. You must use this setting. The speaker signals for the mach stereo go to the first amp as speaker level inputs and then get converted to preamp outputs/inputs for the two rear amps in the decklid. Keep in mind this is for a 98 and somewhere like 01 or something like that they changed the connectors or something... not sure what they changed. Hope this helps
Jon
 
S

SlowRider

New Member
Nov 11, 2003
30
0
0
Boca Raton, FL
Apr 22, 2004
#6
  • Apr 22, 2004
  • #6
I just installed a kenwoord head unit in my 97.. I could not find the harness that i need to use the amps so I decided to bypass them for now... let me tell you that if you are going to rewire and gut the entire thing, you better have some time on your hands. I actually had the problem of not having the right socket to take the rear speakers out so I had to figure out how to wire to them through the existing wires... actually was pretty easy once I bent myself in to an unconfortable position

And just to let you know I have all the factory speakers in with the new head unit minus the amps and I do not like the sound at all... no bass what so ever (actually very minimal) but if you do not want any bass then it sounds ok.. not crackling or humming... just a pain to install..

my next thing is get the right tools, replace speakers, as a sub of some kind

$$$$$$
 

SonicGT04

New Member
Apr 18, 2004
21
0
0
Northeast
Apr 22, 2004
#7
  • Apr 22, 2004
  • #7
Yea unfortunately all of that is true about the MACH system. I used to work for Circuit City and I did a huge system in a Mustang with a MACH system, all new speakers, 4 channel amp, 2 channel amp, single 10 inch sub, and a radio. Everything sounded awesome when it was done but I will warn you it is ALOT of work to rewire that car. I think its worth it if your really into car audio, but if not MACH sounds ok to me

-Dave
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Stereo snakes nest; what am I missing?
  • Scott_S
  • Aug 29, 2025
  • Mustang Sound & Shine All
Replies
3
Views
432
Mustang Sound & Shine All Sep 24, 2025
Scott_S
S
1
Engine Motor swap from a 2003 Explorer
  • 1996mustang new
  • Oct 9, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
729
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 16, 2025
squeak93
K
Need help with 99 cobra mach 460 audio
  • kevinatd18
  • Mar 16, 2024
  • Mustang Sound & Shine All
Replies
5
Views
2K
Mustang Sound & Shine All Mar 17, 2024
Noobz347
Run a 5 channel or use head unit and mono amp for sub?
  • 2000xp8
  • Sep 20, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 23, 2024
2000xp8
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
373
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?