Engine Machine Shop asked me .....

slipkid269

Jun 24, 2021
Michigan
ok gotta answer the machine shop guy soon. He wants to know do I want main girdle. Do I? asked 20oz or 50oz damper, shaft and flywheel? I dont know. I figured just go with the stock 50oz stuff. said if I was gonna change do it now...why?

I thought about a girdle but dont think I need it. I heard of concrete in the block to the middle of the freeze plugs and temps stay good. Will this make the block stronger?

I think to put in a main girdle it will hang to low into oil pan. my crossmember was clearenced for the oil pan as it is.

They are concerned about splitting the block or the flywheel coming through the floor.

Being done to it..
Making a 347! Not a full blown crazy one. New forged wiseco pistons, eagle crank. I plan on keeping it low profile using the stock efi, upper and lower. Stock ecm. Port matching and maybe some nice rockers and a bumpity managable cam. Now in my reasoning I see it as smaller than a 351. And I have never been impressed by a 351 stock. So I see it as smaller than that, but they seem erring on thesafe side I appreaciate that but where I can save money I gotta!

Time is running out so if you gottsome thoughts please add them. I will be going into more detail in my build posted below....its not a stang, its a stang prototype! with a 89 ho a t5 and 3.79s in the back.

Thanks for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

28oz and use arp main cap studs. No girdle and no cement. The shop should be telling you what to use, not asking. No one builds 347's with 50oz balance. The less weight hanging off the ends the better.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t even think there is a 3.400 stroke sbf crank that you can buy in a 50oz balance. 99.9% chance it’s 28oz balance, but without knowing the part number it’s tough to tell.

Also, total waste of money to mess with the stock upper and lower intake, as well as heads. Please do not spend money to have a machine shop go through them, just get a set of afr enforcers and some other intake. You will be sorely disappointed when the engine you spent $4500 (or whatever amount) to have built makes 260hp

Reactions: 1 users
He's getting the parts through one of his venders. Eagle crank and rods. Got with him over this and added a 28oz flywheel and balancer to it.

He' will be doing the bare minimum and I will be assembling it. Thats the only way I can afford to do something so, not relevant to living expenses. Will get the short block solid so later on I can focus on saving for upgrades. I could put it all on a card but not interested. I will match the ports and do some lite work on the heads and it will still run good and be dependable. I was happy with it stock, it will only get better. Had to do a rebuild cuz the bearings said bye bye. Doing a stroker or just refreshing with new parts costs the same so.......

Thanks guys for the help!

With my stroker kit I chose a Neutral balance crank that requires a neutral balance flywheel and harmonic balancer......Its the best crank option IMHO......

I also went with H-Beam rods and SRP professional dished pistons that weigh 397grams each.........

My engine runs smooth as a european made engine too..............

Tell the guy to use plenty of sealer on the crank bolts or you could develop oil leaks from the holes that break through....Out of 6 holes 5 broke through

Screenshot 2022-05-03 185129.jpg

Good Luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
With my stroker kit I chose a Neutral balance crank that requires a neutral balance flywheel and harmonic balancer......Its the best crank option IMHO......

I also went with H-Beam rods and SRP professional dished pistons that weigh 397grams each.........

My engine runs smooth as a european made engine too..............

Tell the guy to use plenty of sealer on the crank bolts or you could develop oil leaks from the holes that break through....Out of 6 holes 5 broke through

Screenshot 2022-05-03 185129.jpg

Good Luck
Good things to know thanks!