MAF Sensor/TB Sizes - Intake Upgrades

jpctln

Jun 1, 2004
StL, MO
I will be starting to upgrade air induction on my stock 93 soon, and I was wondering about maf/tb diameters in relation to mods done on an engine. Eventually I want to go with a TrickFlow street intake as soon as I get some cash, but in the meantime I was looking at the C&L 76mm MAF and "trueflow" airtube. Will I see any power loss if I upgraded to the 76mm maf before getting the new intake and tb on a completely stock engine? The tb inlet is 75mm, and will be upgraded along with the intake. What kind of power gains (or losses) will I see from upgrading to the maf early, and what kind of gains will I see when the intake and tb are on? I like the C&L mainly because of it's looks, so suggestions are welcome. A 76mm maf and a 75mm tb seems too big for a stock engine with just the intake upgraded, so that's what I need help with.

• Sponsors (?)

A 76mm Mass Air is not too big for a stock engine. A 75mm TB might be overkill as it is not needed unless your plans are to make over 600 HP or so.

I would go with a Pro-M 80mm Mass Air meter and either a 65 or 70mm TB.

Thanks for the reply. Could a 70mm or 65mm tb be used on the trickflow intake that has a 75mm inlet? I don't plan on making that kind of hp so I want to stay away from overkill.

jpctln said:
Thanks for the reply. Could a 70mm or 65mm tb be used on the trickflow intake that has a 75mm inlet? I don't plan on making that kind of hp so I want to stay away from overkill.
No Problem. It could be used but a 75mm shouldn't hurt you either. It just probably won't make more power with it. If you have not purchased it yet then I would probably get a 75 just to match the intake opening to keep smooth transitions into the intake.
As far as the mass air goes the C&L might look good but I have had much better luck with the Pro-M. Better drivability and such.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way but it is up to you.

That 75mm TB will work perfect with that tfs intake. You'll have a true 3.5" inlet. It will NOT repeat NOT hurt you. I wouldnt put that TB on the stock intake because that'll be a waste.

Great thanks. I was planning on ordering the tb along with the intake so I won't put the tb on early. Where's the best place to go about buying a pro-m maf? I'd like to keep the stock airbox and get a new satin maf-tb tube to fit like the C&L kit I was looking at, that is if I don't just go with the C&L.

jpctln said:
Great thanks. I was planning on ordering the tb along with the intake so I won't put the tb on early. Where's the best place to go about buying a pro-m maf? I'd like to keep the stock airbox and get a new satin maf-tb tube to fit like the C&L kit I was looking at, that is if I don't just go with the C&L.
The best place I have found for Pro-M's is Here .
Unfortunatly if you go with the Pro-M 77 or bigger you can no longer use your stock airbox. You would have to look at something else.

I have a 76mm C&L maf with BBK cold air induction and a BBK 75mm tb on a stock engine. I haven't noticed any big losses. I have a trickflow street intake here waiting to get put on. We got hit with 18 inches of snow over the weekend and don't want to take out the stang until the temp is above freezing.