• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

MAF upgrade?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Awhiting1990
  • Start date Start date Feb 8, 2021
A

Awhiting1990

New Member
Feb 6, 2021
4
0
1
Morriston FL
Feb 8, 2021
#1
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #1
Holley aluminum heads bigger valves 1.7 rockers and a camshaft upgrade. Do i need a bigger maf? Current one is part number F1ZF-12B579-AA AFH55-03B with stock injectors.... Car is running really rich is this an issue from the bigger valves and rockers allowing more airflow? or i do i have a bad MAF to begin with?
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,332
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Feb 8, 2021
#2
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #2
That's just a stock 91-93 55mm Mustang MAF.

WIth aftermarket heads, you'll want to upgrade your MAF.
 
A

Awhiting1990

New Member
Feb 6, 2021
4
0
1
Morriston FL
Feb 8, 2021
#3
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #3
Mustang5L5 said:
That's just a stock 91-93 55mm Mustang MAF.

WIth aftermarket heads, you'll want to upgrade your MAF.
Click to expand...
What size MAF should i go with?
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,052
10,677
213
polk county florida
Feb 8, 2021
#4
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #4
Have you checked for codes?
You can have codes present without the check engine light on.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,332
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Feb 8, 2021
#5
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #5
Please list the entire engine combo.

I'd also dump codes and see what the ECU doesn't like.
 
Reactions: General karthief

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Feb 8, 2021
#6
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #6
stock injectors? go with a 94 to95 GT stock 70 MM MAF, Plug and play. You can get them in a JY fairly cheap
 

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
20+ Year Stangneter
Apr 14, 2003
1,338
659
143
Cuba, AL
Feb 8, 2021
#7
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #7
mikestang63 said:
stock injectors? go with a 94 to95 GT stock 70 MM MAF, Plug and play. You can get them in a JY fairly cheap
Click to expand...
I can't remember but does the OEM sensor just swap straight over to the 94/95 housing?
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Feb 8, 2021
#8
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #8
Wayne Waldrep said:
I can't remember but does the OEM sensor just swap straight over to the 94/95 housing?
Click to expand...
yes you do NOT swap just sensors. you swap the entire MAF
 

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
20+ Year Stangneter
Apr 14, 2003
1,338
659
143
Cuba, AL
Feb 8, 2021
#9
  • Feb 8, 2021
  • #9
mikestang63 said:
yes you do NOT swap just sensors. you swap the entire MAF
Click to expand...
I don't think I was clear since I feel confused now...lol... So if I have the 55mm factory unit with the "55mm electronics" (calling it that for clarity) on top, I get the 94/95 housing (aluminum only) and do what?
My options are use my existing "55mm electronics" or use the 94/95 electronics.
Mike is laughing at me right now, I know it!
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Feb 9, 2021
#10
  • Feb 9, 2021
  • #10
Wayne Waldrep said:
I don't think I was clear since I feel confused now...lol... So if I have the 55mm factory unit with the "55mm electronics" (calling it that for clarity) on top, I get the 94/95 housing (aluminum only) and do what?
My options are use my existing "55mm electronics" or use the 94/95 electronics.
Mike is laughing at me right now, I know it!
Click to expand...
swap the entire housing with the electronics over. you do not transfer over your sensor to the other housing
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

N
Looking for ECU/CHIP for 1992 5.0
  • Nathan26
  • Sep 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
189
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sunday at 10:32 AM
khanpa
K
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
440
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
9
Engine Donor '00 Mountaineer meet '91 Fox
  • 91firecracker
  • May 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
41
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 28, 2026
91firecracker
9
A
Discussion on mild budget build/ top end
  • Acesario
  • Feb 21, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
914
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 23, 2026
General karthief
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
448
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?