Magnaflow catted H-pipe, performance or no?

I have a new catted H-pipe on my radar and wanted to go with Magnaflow. Their website sucks and when I found what I was looking for (PN: 93338) it listed their cats as universal. Down the application list was their catted X-pipe which lists performance cats. So, my question is this; does the Magnaflow 2 1/2" catted H-pipe have performance cats or no? No sense making the swap if I'm not getting any power out of the deal.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Maggie catted H, and it does indeed have "hi-flow" cats if that means anything.

The fitment to the headers effing sucks though. Maybe I just got a bad kit.

Good to know they're high flow, bad news about the fit. Actually I heard lots of good things about a consistent fit. What was off - the width of the pipes at the header or the angle?

The angle to the header is off. Im gonna take it off and try and bend it a bit. It makes the ball flange connection leak. My old H pipe fit like a glove.

Im gonna have to put some Gasket maker in there to keep it from leaking :mad:

Mine were running rich for a bit, then I fixed the condition and smogged the car. Ran clean as a whistle. They have plenty of stamina.

As for a difference in power, no real difference on a pretty stock motor, the exhaust sound is pretty much the same too. The exhaust isnt really the choking point on stock 5.0s.

As for a difference in power, no real difference on a pretty stock motor, the exhaust sound is pretty much the same too. The exhaust isnt really the choking point on stock 5.0s.

This is the clincher then. Nil power and sound improvements...no thanks! What's the point if there isn't any noticible benefit? Glad I asked since I was just about ready to plunk down my dough to pick up at least a change in the exhaust tone.

I have bolt-ons done so far: 65mm TB, UD pulleys, 1.72RR, Flows, 70mm MAS, 1 5/8 BBK headers. Looking forward, heads (either AFR 165 or Eddy Performers) and an Edelbrock Performer intake are in the plans, just not yet.

Any issues with ceramic catalyst vs. spun metal? I read somewhere that the ceramic cats don't have any stamina when it comes to rich running cars or overheating. I don't want to kill these things then have Magnaflow say it was my fault.

BTW, is this a seat-of-the-pants power difference or just sound?

His motor is stock, an H pipe on a stock engine doesnt increase performance that much. I couldnt tell you what it did myself because I put a new motor and trans with the pipe, and I didnt drive the car for two years.

I believe the cats are ceramic, but they are tough, my air pipe kept popping off for a while.

If you are really worried about flow on the exhaust side, id just pick up a cheap offroad X or H and put the stocker back on to smog it.

Your heads and intake are holding you back the most right now, so without that, you really arent gonna pick up much with a high flow exhaust.

Nice

I run the Magnaflow stainless steel catted H and have no complaints. Fitment was perfect.

It's lighter than the stocker, it's stainless so it should last forever and has highflow cats so it will free up some ponys too.

Heads ARE a much better horsepower gainer but willl cost you a heck of a lot more too...

MAG93338 is the part number for the catted H. I paid $268 with free shipping on www.performancepeddler.com a year ago.

JustaGT,

Did you notice any power or sound improvement? The consensus seems to be that there is little if any change in sound or power. The cats I am currently running are OEM units replaced in 1992 under recall so they are still healthy. The only reason to replace them would be if there were some benefit. $300 is 25% of what I was expecting to spend on heads.

I did a lot of research on the best mid pipe to get and that led me to getting the Bassani Catted X Pipe. I got the BX version (aluminized) with the ceramic cats to save money. My car never sees rain so I figured the stainless is overkill and not worth the extra $. I also bought the Bassani cat back. It sounds very racey and throaty and the X pipe went on perfectly (as the reviews I read said it would) and the ceramic cats are really cool looking. But the best part is that the whole system has increased my power/torque throughout the rpm range. I should mention that I have aftermarket heads so the power increase may be higher than for stock heads. Either way though its a good investment.:nice:

+1 on the bassani. I have the all stainless version of the above and it is a quality piece. The sound is outstanding, and it fits like a glove to the JBA shorties. Unfortunately like everyone else, I never had it on the stock motor so I can't compare the power change.

-kyle

you are going to gain sound being that you are deleting 2 of the 4 cats and the 2 remaining cats are much better flowing than the stockers. no exhaust mod is going to give you any SOTP gains unless you have a built motor with stock exhaust, then open up the exhaust later.

i had a BBK 2-cat H with 3 chamber flowmasters on an 03 GT and it sounded pretty wicked for being catted

just an example of how sound does improve with a 2 cat pipe. its nothing like an offroad pipe but it still sounds good
View attachment 309050