Mark VIII Fan Wiring Questions

I recently established that my 2,800 cfm electric fan is not doing a very good job at keeping the Stroker cool. I ordered a Mark VIII fan and I am planning the wiring before starting the install. My research has me conflicted. The install "How To" write ups for the Mark VIII fan I came across recommend using a 30 amp fuse and 30 amp relay. However, I also found that these fans use around 80-90 amps when starting up.

Should I use an 80 amp relay with a 100 amp circuit breaker to maintain that high current?

My other question is will my Hayden thermal control switch handle that amount of current?

This is the switch I bought...
Hayden Automotive 3653 - Hayden Electric Fan Controls - Overview - SummitRacing.com

• Sponsors (?)

My fan arrived this week and I checked the part number. It is from a '94 Thunderbird. I really wish the people on Ebay selling fans wouldn't advertise them as Mark VIII fans if that isn't what they are. They look identical but I am hearing these don't spin as fast as the MK8 fans. I'm gonna try it and see if it is sufficient. Crap.

Well apparently this thunderbird fan is single speed. I'm just gonna wire it up with a 75 amp relay, 100 amp circuit breaker, and I'll put the thermal switch on the ignition side of the relay. I'll set the fan to come on at 180 which will match my thermostat. I'm just hoping this solves the problem. I'm tired of messing around with this.

Good News:
I got the fan installed with some shroud trimming. I also had to move the radiator about 1/4". All wired up nice and neat. It was holding at a steady 190 at idle.

Bad News:
I noticed a leak somewhere dripping off the bottom of the radiator. I can't win. FML.

Well apparently this thunderbird fan is single speed. I'm just gonna wire it up with a 75 amp relay, 100 amp circuit breaker, and I'll put the thermal switch on the ignition side of the relay. I'll set the fan to come on at 180 which will match my thermostat. I'm just hoping this solves the problem. I'm tired of messing around with this.

You'll want the fan settings phased above that of the t-stat's fully open temp. If your stat is fully open at 180* (assuming you have a balanced t-stat), you could use 200/190 on/off.

You know what to do. :) Mount the fan using brackets (not pull-throughs) and have a shop fix the rad (if the rad is older, weigh the cost of repair vs a fresh rad).

Well after emoving the fan, I found the leak. It was NOT where I put the pull-through straps. It is a tiny nick where I think I nicked it with a drill bit by accident. It is a tiny pinhole. I am thinking I will just clean the hell out of it and use some JB Weld or some kind of aluminum epoxy. It is very easy to get to without removing the radiator.

Any ideas as to what I should use? I was also considering soldering it.

Side note: Mounting with pull-through straps worked just fine. It stayed in place nicely and looked very clean. I put a thin layer of foam padding in between the shroud and the radiator. Sealed it airtight.