Mark Viii Heads on a 2v 4.6

SnowB

Aug 8, 2018
Minnesota
Wanted to get heads for my 04 Gt, read some threads about how 4v heads are way better than ported or aftermarket 2v heads. I found a 1995 motor/trans combo for 300$ I really just want the heads and intake so I’m wondering if they will bolt up to the block? And how about the timing chains since it’s dohc? Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

It's a lot more work than just swapping the heads. It's been covered quite a bit, so a quick search should yield alot. You're alot better off swapping the whole motor or upgrading your current 2v.

Hmmm, I do like making things harder for my self.. but I do want to do a 4V build, with boost. I’m leaning more towards building a 4v overtime on an engine stand and when the 2v poops out, swap time. Is the Mark VIII a good baseline to mod? Or are there any better 4V motors that I can get for under 500?

IMO it seems to me that one of the "issues" that you are overlooking is the need for a Mustang specific intake manifold along with the other "associated" parts.

Here's one idea that may help you to get around the need for a Mustang intake manifold. Especially since you would like to supercharge anyway. Kill two birds with one stone!

http://kennebell.net/products/super...stang-cobra/mustang-cobra-46-liter-1996-1998/

Don't loose site of the fact that you are building a 4V DOHC that's NOT a real Cobra bottom end. This should be factored in when considering the boost levels to shoot for. IMO they should be minimal to keep your project together.

I have to agree that a better bank for the buck is to supercharge to motor that you already own. With the correct kit you could be driving your project after a weekend's work instead of gathering parts for year(s) and thinking about it.

Reactions: 1 user
IIRC, the biggest change you have to consider is changing the pistons out. Past that, your stock bottom end won't handle tons of boost so you would probably be better off building a short block with the correct pistons and a stout rod and crank combo.

The stock Mark viii bottom end isn't that strong, iirc. The block is a teksid though so it's potential is huge.

IMO it seems to me that one of the "issues" that you are overlooking is the need for a Mustang specific intake manifold along with the other "associated" parts.

Here's one idea that may help you to get around the need for a Mustang intake manifold. Especially since you would like to supercharge anyway. Kill two birds with one stone!

http://kennebell.net/products/super...stang-cobra/mustang-cobra-46-liter-1996-1998/

Don't loose site of the fact that you are building a 4V DOHC that's NOT a real Cobra bottom end. This should be factored in when considering the boost levels to shoot for. IMO they should be minimal to keep your project together.

I have to agree that a better bank for the buck is to supercharge to motor that you already own. With the correct kit you could be driving your project after a weekend's work instead of gathering parts for year(s) and thinking about it.
That’s a very good solution for the intake manifold, I’ll keep note of that, thank you. I’m still very hooked on building a 4V, not only for revving capabilities but as something I can do for fun.

IIRC, the biggest change you have to consider is changing the pistons out. Past that, your stock bottom end won't handle tons of boost so you would probably be better off building a short block with the correct pistons and a stout rod and crank combo.

The stock Mark viii bottom end isn't that strong, iirc. The block is a teksid though so it's potential is huge.
Would 03/04 cobra forged internals bolt to a Teksid?