MASS Air Conversion Please HELP!

LITEW8

Aug 21, 2009
Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I can't find any information anywhere else. I'm converting an 1986 Capri to mass-air, but the pins on the harness don't correspond with the instructions. I have existing wires in the pins that are needed. I need pins 9 and 50, but they are already occupied by wires.

Looking for diagrams (internet, I can't find any) or a pro who has already performed this conversion that can help explain. THanks!

• Sponsors (?)

MASS air conversion instructions from Mustang Mass Air Conversion | StangNet FREE
A9L (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A9P (Auto or in a pinch, 5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
70MM MAF from 94-95 Mustang GT - $40-$70
MASS Air wiring harness kit $30-$85

The whole thing is probably less than $300 using junkyard parts.

The conversion harness seems to work well for most folks. It avoids the compatibility problems in using a harness from the junkyard. Simple and cheap, it is actually less work that swapping the wiring harness. I have pulled the stock harness out of a wrecked car and it was like wrestling a big python.

Conversion Harness kits & parts
Interactive Systems & Technologies Mass Air Home Page
Ford Fuel Injection EFI Harness Pigtails

If the idea of moving & soldering wires scares you, here's a list of compatible Mass Air wiring harnesses.

Copied from bbunt302
Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (B/c of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)
Late 92 through 93 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood)

Larger MAF to go with Mass Air conversion:
94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

*1.) Metal flange adapter Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports, Inc. KKM Buy the TR70 for $44.95. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.
Try AutoZone and ask for 81413 - Spectre / 3 in. Aluminum Intake Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter at $12.00. You may have to order it online.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

A Also see Ford Fuel Injection for help with the harness parts RJM Injection Tech EFI Harness Pigtails:, and connector pins, RJM Injection Tech Ford Terminals:

Problem Solved

Thank you for the reply jrichker! I had seen most of what you posted, but none seemed to make sense. I had previously found a diagram on the internet, but the problem was (unknown at the time) - the plain diagram was actually a front view of the connector - inturn making everything backwards :rolleyes:. After it was realized, everything clicked and is now working. :D