Mass air guys have about MAP sensor ?.

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
Mass air guys have a ? about MAP sensor

Is it supposed to be hooked up to a vacuum hose coming from the intake. I've been told only speed density cars are set up this way (or at least that's the way I took it) So what do you mass air guys have hooked up to the map sensor?

• Sponsors (?)

ram360 said:
Is it supposed to be hooked up to a vacuum hose coming from the intake. I've been told only speed density cars are set up this way (or at least that's the way I took it) So what do you mass air guys have hooked up to the map sensor?
my car is a conversion car, and the vacuum hose that your talking about was actually hooked up to the map sensor (wrong). So I just put it onto the last plug on the vacuum tree. Runs well, with the exception of a slight surge in the idle.

shttygtstang said:
ummmmm we have mas air flow sensors .

i dont think we have manifold air presure sensors last i check could be wrong though

it's right on the firewall. behind the intake

EDIT: your right, looks identical to a map sensor but it's the BAP sensor.

Car RamRod said:
my car is a conversion car, and the vacuum hose that your talking about was actually hooked up to the map sensor (wrong). So I just put it onto the last plug on the vacuum tree. Runs well, with the exception of a slight surge in the idle.

That's the way I have mine set up now but after reading this I was beginning to wondering If it was set up wrong.

The MAP or BARO sensor is pretty much the same sensor for both Mass Air & Speed Density cars. The main difference is where it is connected. Mass Air cars vent it to the atmosphere, while Speed Density cars connect it to the intake manifold vacuum. Its purpose is to help set a baseline for the air/fuel mixture and changes in barometric pressure.

Sound like it's not supposed to be hooked to a vacuum port on mass air cars. :shrug:

Sound like it's not supposed to be hooked to a vacuum port on mass air cars. :shrug:
Yes, it is not supposed to be hooked up on Mass Air cars.

A MAP sensor is a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor used to measure the pressure in the intake manifold. It is hooked up to a vacuum line comming off the back of the intake on Speed Density cars.

A BAP sensor is a Barometric Absoulte Pressure sensor that is identical to the MAP sensor in operation. The difference being that it is not hooked up to a vacuum source and is used on Mass Air cars.

You can use a MAP on a Mass Air car if you unhook the vacuum going to it.
For practical purposes, if a BAP sensor and a MAP sensor were placed side by side and exposed to exactly the same pressures, the output signals would be identical.

I hope this helps.

89sleeper said:
Yes, it is not supposed to be hooked up on Mass Air cars.

A MAP sensor is a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor used to measure the pressure in the intake manifold. It is hooked up to a vacuum line comming off the back of the intake on Speed Density cars.

A BAP sensor is a Barometric Absoulte Pressure sensor that is identical to the MAP sensor in operation. The difference being that it is not hooked up to a vacuum source and is used on Mass Air cars.

You can use a MAP on a Mass Air car if you unhook the vacuum going to it.
For practical purposes, if a BAP sensor and a MAP sensor were placed side by side and exposed to exactly the same pressures, the output signals would be identical.

I hope this helps.

That's a lot of help. I pluged the vacuum port where the map sensor was connected and tried running the car w/o the vacuum connected to the map sensor. The car started and immediatly died. I ended up having a bap sensor lying around and swapped that in instead. Car idled and everything is good. Thanks for the help everyone.