mass airflow conversion on a 86 good idea or no?

• Sponsors (?)

You might lose a couple hp.. But it is much easier to put heads, cam, or intake on with a mass air system. If you do not plan on doing these things I wouldn't waste the money..

65mm or 70mm throttle body?and injectors??and cam??

I plan to swap out the injectors,cam it and add a better lower and upper intake.first off what size injectors would be good and was thinking about a x303 cam.what size throttle body should I get or would the stock on be good enough?

86 5.0 intake options?gt 40???

I've always been into chevys so not to familure with fords.first of I want to know if I can keep the lower intake on and what uppers will fit with the stock lower.and is the gt40 lower and upper better then the stock 86 intake?would a aftermarket upper bolt on to the lower intake?thanks

you need the harness, maf, and a mass air computer...

I just did it on my 86 like 2 months ago! Took like a hour and a half! Very Simple!

I changed the heads to Ported E7 and trickflow intake

Careful on what cam you put because of Flat top pistions in the 86 Motors! People get away with a ECAM but thats with E7 heads! Xcam would hit from what i hear! Either way you would need to check PTV clearance or clay the heads if removed

Not sure what you mean? A 86 5.0 motor will pretty much accept any intake designed for a 302. By are you looking for a gt40 or explorer intake basically the same lower. On the explorer (gt40) you don't want to go any newer than 96 after that they don't have internal egr provisions and are thinner castings. I just bought another explorer intake complete and very good condition for 150.00. So they can be found and would fit and help an 86 motor. The stock 86 intake is smaller than the later mustang h.o. intakes, and have a smaller throttle body than those as well. Sure you know that but just incase...

just tried to answer you other post. Change the whole intake. The most restrictive part will wind up being the lower. If you don't want to change the lower right now change the upper to a later 5.0 intake lit has a bigger inlet runner and a 55mm tb. You can probably get one for free if you ask around get the egr block and throttle body at the same time. Other wise pick up an explorer intake or if you have the money they make really good aftermarket intake for a mustang. Is it still speed density?

yes do it. you are limiting your self if you don't. Did mine very simple. Need the maf plug, maf meter, and a mass air computer.plan on buying some heads. Changing the heads will be the best bang for the buck on an 86. Buy them once, buy good ones. If not get a set of gt40 heads, but again just save up till you can afford some good aluminum heads, and do your intake all at once. But do convert it to mass air.

just tried to answer you other post. Change the whole intake. The most restrictive part will wind up being the lower. If you don't want to change the lower right now change the upper to a later 5.0 intake lit has a bigger inlet runner and a 55mm tb. You can probably get one for free if you ask around get the egr block and throttle body at the same time. Other wise pick up an explorer intake or if you have the money they make really good aftermarket intake for a mustang. Is it still speed density?

it is still SD but I want to swap to a maf,everyone says I'll need to swap out the computer to but summit makes a maf conversion that plugs right into the SD plug.not sure if I'd still need a computer

all these questions could be on one thread.

Lots of info on searches as well.

Don't get rid of the egr unless you have to. It will work on most intakes. ALUMINUM heads lots of brands lots of opinions all concidered an upgrade.