• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Massive battery power drain

  • Thread starter Thread starter DanB93
  • Start date Start date Jul 7, 2023
D

DanB93

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
66
1
9
Jul 7, 2023
#1
  • Jul 7, 2023
  • #1
HI,
My garage queen has a huge parasitic power drain, its a Convertible and only gets out a hew times a year because of rain and my schedule . I keep a battery tender on it in winter. So this year took it out for a drive and noticed the battery gage was reading towards the lower end of normal and I wondered if maybe Alternator wasn't not charging it. I made a few stops but car started up fine. Next day went to drive and battery dead, I metered it and was only at 7volts. I decided to replace the battery after the battery charger could not restore power on it. New battery in drove fine, next day dead battery and low voltage, luckily I was able to recharge and disconnect from car for now. I have started to try and find the drain, setting my meter to 10amps, removed battery Neg cable and made a bridge between it and battery, it reads 14amps with nothing on and doors closed! I haven't gone through all the fuses yet but did unplug Alternator and then the only extra thing in the car is aftermarket radio and amp. With either of those 2 fuses removed still had drain. I started to try the fuses but ran out of time, however when my drivers door was open and metter hooked uo the drain went from 14amps to 5amps? I thought it would go other direction. Anyway What could draw so much power if not for the Alternator ,car aftermarket amp? My guess would be maybe the motor for the top? Any ideas? Thanks
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,144
4,233
183
Claremore, OK
Jul 7, 2023
#2
  • Jul 7, 2023
  • #2
Short in the door wiring harness? Assuming the car has power windows and locks?
 

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
2,993
3,500
184
Mililani, Hawaii
Jul 7, 2023
#3
  • Jul 7, 2023
  • #3
Any time I had a big draw like that it was almost always the alternator was shorted out. Try disconnecting the wiring from the alternator and see if the draw stops.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,144
4,233
183
Claremore, OK
Jul 7, 2023
#4
  • Jul 7, 2023
  • #4
I think he did bypass the alternator. About halfway in his post.
 

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
2,993
3,500
184
Mililani, Hawaii
Jul 8, 2023
#5
  • Jul 8, 2023
  • #5
I am not familiar with a fuse for the alternator? There is a fuseable link in the wiring which you can't really unhook? So as far as I know, the only true way to remove the alternator from potentially being the issue is to completely unplug it.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Electrical Parasitic Draw, Fuse 8
  • N8827N
  • Sep 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
179
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
F
Alternator Not Charging
  • Fri Guy
  • Aug 29, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
475
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 31, 2025
AeroCoupe
Electrical Issues with my 2006 mustang gt
  • VerneVdV
  • May 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
0
Views
170
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech May 22, 2026
VerneVdV
D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
7
Views
189
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Sep 13, 2026
Mcmahst
S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
314
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?