massive tick/click from car when under moderate or heavy acceleration.

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
OK when i get on it it my car is makes a tick, it sounds like its from the front of the car, we suspected the fan hitting the schroud.

So we parked her and revved her so the engine would move up and it didnt hit, it only ticks when your driving.

I suspect it might be the speedo cable, my speedo does wiggle up and down alot.
Any ideas?

PS, what does your first gear top out at?

• Sponsors (?)

Could be header leak, but I am thinking more along the lines of detonation. What gas are you running, what are your mods? Timing has a lot to do with it too. Back your timing off about two degrees, I have a feeling that will fix your porblem.

I have flowtech equal length shorties, an offroad h-pipe (probably flowtech) and some mufflers (probably flowtech)

a K&N filter, accel plug wire, an aftermarket wiring harness, msd coil and some aftermarket distributor, has a red cap so the caps probably msd.

The guy said it has a rebuilt auto, it does shift nice so i think its true.

My haynes manual said something things about the ditributor, i think that could be it since it has a new ignition system and the kid didnt install the qiring harness quite right. well my dad said we should try some octane booster since we didnt have time to work under the hood today. i used regular 87 octane, we filled her up with 91 octane and used some octane booster, i cant see a difference, but the car may still be using the quater tank of the old gas i had so i dont know quite yet.

On your distributor there is a half inch bolt with a clip holding the distributor in place. Loosen the bolt and turn it to the left. It would be better if you have a timing light, and back it off about 2 degrees, tighten the bolt. Make sure you pull the PIP plug (on the wiring harness coming off the distributor module) out before you set the base timing and put it back in when you are done. You will probably loose some power by doing this. If you put 87 octane in it then thats probably your problem. I would always run at least 89 in it. Hope this helps.

The ticking sound mine makes seems like its coming from the shifter. Only under heavy acceleration. I can reduce the sound by gripping the shifter tighter or by pressing it against side of the shifter gate.