Material Identification Help


New Member
Sep 24, 2018
Hey everyone!

I am in the process of making a custom gauge cluster for my car and need to make a different piece for the plastic overlay. My questions is about what kind of plastic/material it is made out of, and perhaps where I could source it from.

Also, I am curious how the clear spots work. From what I can tell, there is a clear piece of material that is sandwiched between two black layers on either side. The black is not applied to the clear piece where the markers/indications are. Finally colored film is put on the back of the clear material, where exposed. If there's more too it than that, please chime in!

I am mostly interested in getting my hands on the clear material, unless the black material has properties that would make it necessary/beneficial to use. Otherwise I will be adding my own design instead of the black.

Picture of the piece in question

Thank you very much for any input! :)
  • Sponsors (?)