Maximum Motorsport LCA's install notes

uk01gt

Apr 10, 2004
England
I used a mechanic friends ramp to put in the MM LCA's today, (Ok, he did most of it) and I'd just like to add a couple of comments to their otherwise excellent installation procedures from MM.

I would not recommend this install on your driveway! If you've done it, then you are the man!

1. You might need a decent vice or press to get the damn bushes in. I got one side in manually, but was too pI_Issy to get the other side in. (With sleeves)

2. The grease supplied for the bushes sticks like ***** to a stick, just thought you'd like to know.

3. You may/need to drop the exhaust brackets from the rear fender panel and over the rear axle, to get to the rear LCA bolts.

4. If you forget to support the axles before removing the LCA's it may tweak backwards a half inch. If you're on the driveway without jackstands you're in the *****. I used a tall gearbox lift to pump up slightly forward under the diff, to re-align the holes. (a jack under the rear of the LCA)

5. Where the instructions say "mount the rear brake cable stay bracket like this", it means you have to pop the rear brake cable nipple out, pull back the cable, remove the bracket, and reposition it upside down. don't forget to put the cable back in!

I did intend to mount the MM Panhard install as well today, but we ran out of time. However, I have noted an improvement already in the rear end, even in the lateral attitude. Maybe that's because the sway bar has a bit more metal to grip on. The Panhard is going on in Jan.

any comments chaps.

• Sponsors (?)

I just did my panhard bar a couple of days ago, I think you will notice the difference big time compared to the LCA's. My tips for the panhard bar install, make sure you have a nice cobalt 3/8" drill bit and I would also reccomend a step bit taht goes up to 5/8"(not neccisary but makes it much quicker). For the panhard bar, just take your time and make sure everything is lined up. You will definitily need 2 people if you want it to go smoothly.

The install goes pretty smoothly, my biggest grudge was the fact I had to remove my mufflers (Magnapacks) in order to gain any clearence when installing the bolt on the frame (torque boxes).

You run through a bit of trial and error when you're trying to line up the axle mount to the end of the control arm. I had to continue to change the jackstand position on the axle tube (with my other jackstands supporting the car on the torque boxes) in order to get the aligment on the LCA to put in the bolt.

The secret is to have your spring out of the control arm and you dry run placing the LCA into the mount. Once you get that squared away, place the spring into the perch and slowly raise the control arm into position and insert the bolt. I was pretty scared of the spring shooting out at times like these so I took a lot of precaution to ease through the process.

It took a lot longer then I expected, but I'm sure my second time through wouldn't be as bad.