May be trading in the GT for a 99 Vette...Question

Quickshift_02GT said:
Don't think for a second I didn't appreciate any of the hard work and time you helped me put into that Mustang, not to mention the advice you gave me!

Now we have another car to tear apart, except I won't be selling this one off anytime soon...PROMISE! Also, don't forget my offer...if you ever need help with anything at all, give me a call man.

Hey, thinking about heading to PIR this weekend to give her a good run before I run out of chances this year...interested in heading out there with me Friday night?

:nice:

Eh I would love to but I won't be back in portland 'til the 14th.:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

IMO that you will get will be from Borla Stingers or B&B bullets.

The bullets drown and get annoying.

A year ago, I bought an 03 ZO6 and was considering an exhaust change.
From research, the ZO6 mufflers works very well, so I purchased the LG long tubes for the exhaust improvement.

My suggestion is to find a set of ZO6 rear exhaust and replace what you have. Also, they are titanium.

Also find a ZO6 air box and modify it.
View attachment 435850

I still have my mustang, but the ZO6 is amazing. Good choice on your car selection.
DSCN2870.jpg

Keith

Thanks!

I'm actually going to just do the "Zip Tie Mod" for now and use that till I feel the need to buy an intake that looks fancy and "maybe" adds more horsepower than the zip-tie method. I'm installing a hood seal, so it won't get water in the stock intake when washing the car. I will never drive it in rain so I could care less about that. Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between the Z06 and C5 airbox, yours looks identical to mine. Except the lid to the airbox won't be on it when I do the mod anyway, I won't do any cutting...I'm just going to remove the whole cover and expose the entire air filter.

I've been thinking about what to do for the exhaust as well, and I still am not entirely sure exactly what is on my car to begin with. Everyone seems fairly certain that it's not the stock setup, which I agree with because the tips are duals and totally different. But I also can't find any markings on the pipes/mufflers to see what manufacturer it is either. Who knows, but I have decided to leave what's on there at the moment until I do figure it out, and go with a good Longtube setup with an X-pipe. I will most likely do SLP Loudmouth's for the exhaust just for the sound...the sound clips I've heard are absolutely amazing. Although, everyone does mention how bad the drone is inside...so we'll see. But then again, I had Loudmouth 1's on the GT and they were insanely loud and drone bigtime at cruising RPM's. I just loved the deafening bass...

I've also been researching intakes, the FAST intake and the LS6. What do you think of those? I keep hearing how improved the LS6 intake is, and how it adds a decent amount of power for the cost...but that's really all I know about it.

I have the LS6 intake on my car (01/02 F-bodys came with it).. It's claimed to be worth 15hp... The Fast Intake has been disputed as even worth the money...

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10974.php

Considering the LS6 holds it own (that and then some) until very high RPM (6500+ I believe)..the FAST stuff doesn't seem to shine until you are heavily modded (big cam/heads) or have a big cubed motor.

Are you on LS1tech yet? Worlds of info sitting over there man. :) You don't have to leave the mustang groups though.. hell I am registered on many a stang board and I don't even own a ford. It's nice to have different views/perspectives and definately usefull to have people who know a lot about different cars. Keeps us from getting too narrow minded (well usually). :)

BLK_DVL said:
Dont do the SLP, sounds like crap. Like mentioned before stick with the bullets or stingers. I have the B&B setup on my C6 and the droning is bearable (unless you 60 year old man ears).

What makes it sound like crap?

The droning or the actual sound of it? I still have yet to see a soundclip of the SLP's sounding "bad". Have any links? Here are a couple I've found:

http://thx2.net/exhaust/loudmouth2.WMV

http://thx2.net/exhaust/MTIX1Cam.wmv

I haven't heard or seen very many videos on the Bullets. Only one I have seen so far is with them idling. A few from Streetfire, but they sounded like crap. I don't know anyone with a Corvette, so this is all I have to go by. As it stands, unless the SLP drone is completely unbearable...I'll be going with SLP.

Are you on LS1tech yet? Worlds of info sitting over there man. You don't have to leave the mustang groups though.. hell I am registered on many a stang board and I don't even own a ford. It's nice to have different views/perspectives and definately usefull to have people who know a lot about different cars. Keeps us from getting too narrow minded (well usually).

I'm currently on Digital Corvettes, LS1Tech, LS1.com, and Corvette Forums. Just been browsing lately, trying to learn as much as possible. The LS6 Intake has been praised by everyone, but I've seen others as well. Trying to keep my options open and make an educated decision I guess.

Quickshift_02GT said:
What makes it sound like crap?

The droning or the actual sound of it? I still have yet to see a soundclip of the SLP's sounding "bad". Have any links? Here are a couple I've found:

http://thx2.net/exhaust/loudmouth2.WMV

http://thx2.net/exhaust/MTIX1Cam.wmv

I haven't heard or seen very many videos on the Bullets. Only one I have seen so far is with them idling. A few from Streetfire, but they sounded like crap. I don't know anyone with a Corvette, so this is all I have to go by. As it stands, unless the SLP drone is completely unbearable...I'll be going with SLP.

Dont base your decision for an exhaust based on a sound clip, it will never capture the real sound of the car. Way to much distortion. SLPs are real raspy on LSX engines, sounds like sh%&. I had them on my Camaro SS and if my wife didnt like it I would have gotton rid of them in an instant. (It was her daily driver)

Like I said I have the B&B bullets on my C6 and they sound good, real muscle sound, deep and no raspy or boat crap sound. Everyone who has heard them likes the way they sound, if you want you are welcome to hear what they sound like in person. They will sound very similiar on your C5. Better hurry up because the LG offroad LTs are going on then its going to be a whole new animal sound wise.

Also, you have two vette owners on here telling you not to get them, so do as you wish (stangortwo, myself).

BLK_DVL said:
Dont base your decision for an exhaust based on a sound clip, it will never capture the real sound of the car.

Also, you have two vette owners on here telling you not to get them, so do as you wish (stangortwo, myself).

"I don't know anyone with a Corvette, so this is all I have to go by"

If someone doesn't know anyone with a particular car and exhaust combo, internet sound clips are their only way to make a decision. Regardless of how crappy it sounds online, it's better than imagining it in my head. :nonono:

If your offering me a chance to listen to what your car sounds like with the Bullets, I'm game.

Quickshift_02GT said:
"I don't know anyone with a Corvette, so this is all I have to go by"

If someone doesn't know anyone with a particular car and exhaust combo, internet sound clips are their only way to make a decision. Regardless of how crappy it sounds online, it's better than imagining it in my head. :nonono:

If your offering me a chance to listen to what your car sounds like with the Bullets, I'm game.

I wasnt trying to be a ass about it, sorry if I came across that way.:nice: I was just trying to give you a good representation of what each sounds like since I had/have both.

You are more than welcome to hear what the bullets sound like on my car. You will have to filter out the rattling/marble noise of the Procharger but you will get the idea.

BLK_DVL said:
I wasnt trying to be a ass about it, sorry if I came across that way.:nice: I was just trying to give you a good representation of what each sounds like since I had/have both.

You are more than welcome to hear what the bullets sound like on my car. You will have to filter out the rattling/marble noise of the Procharger but you will get the idea.

SWEET!

Although once I get there, I may be begging for a ride in that monster. :hail2:

OK, very good advice on the exhaust system to get. Both borla stingers and b&b bulletts will sound good and give you the most power of all exhaust setups out there.

I myself have the Corsa Indy's. They sound like a motor boat on a stock vette so I wouldnt get them, but the best thing is they dont drone at all EVER. I have them on mine and with 520rwhp and long tubes with an x pipe and no cats they sound nothing like a motor boat. The sound is awesome and keeps things civil at highway speeds.
Here's a sound clip of it. Link

Quickshift_02GT said:
Whoa, that thing sounds wicked with that cam setup. :nice:

I can't wait to get mine cammed, that's for sure.:hail2:
Its got a couple more things besides the cam :D

A good cam that you might want to consider in the future is the LG GX3, makes excelent power on stock cubed motors. BTW did you get the shifter?

Not yet, I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow.

Had to cancel the damn shift knob I ordered for it, playing games with different companies trying to get ahold of one. Not much of an aftermarket for the Vettes on shift knobs, that's for sure. I just can't stand the stock "leather brick".

Whatever cam I want, I want it to have that aggresive idle. I'm still researching cams and trying to see how I could find one that will match my application. I'll have to look into the GX3, does it still work great with forced induction?

Also, do ALL of the FRC's have the Z51 suspension. Been trying to do some searching on that, not having much luck. How do I tell if it is equipped with it?

And everyone says my car is lowered. There was a C5 Z06 that I met up with one night and my car sat about .5in lower than his did. I assumed my car was stock, but it really does sit fairly low. The only way to change the ride height that I saw was the bolt that you can adjust on the underside of the car. So I'm assuming that's what was done, whoever had it before me bottomed out or lowered the car on that bolt?