May Have Found A Transmission For My Project. Questions

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
I am working on putting the 5.0 I pulled from a '94 GT into my Miata, but it had an AODE, so Ive been looking around for an SN95 T5. I found one that comes with everything Id need, clutch, press plate, flywheel w/ APR bolts, etc.

The guy said it has one issue though. It will occasionally pop out of second when downshifting unless you hold it. He says it does not so it on upshifting. So how big of an issue could this be?

• Sponsors (?)

How much is he asking for the transmission?

How inclined are you to pulling apart the transmission yourself? I'm telling you, most manual transmissions are stupid easy to work on. Especially T5s. It's one of the few things I am good at. It's probably something small, like a broken blocker ring. I find all kinds of T5 parts on ebay cheap. Tremec also has great PDFs repair manuals with blow up diagrams with part numbers free on their website. If you are willing to dive in yourself, it might be worth it. If you have to pay someone to fix the transmission, probably not.

Kurt

I'm pretty confident I can fix something like that. I read the rebuild how to on them like 5 times when I had my SN95.

He's asking $600 for it.
AD said:
For sale is a 94-95 t5 transmission setup. Included is a T5 trans, bellhousing, billet steel flywheel, king cobra clutch both with only a few hundred miles. Stock style clutch cable and an adjustable cable, clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, throw out bearing and pilot bearing, clutch fork and dust shield, pro 5.0 shifter with a triax handle, and a hurst pistol grip handle, arp hardware for flywheel and clutch, and block separator plate, driveshaft yoke. The transmission operates great, the only hitch is that you sometimes need to keep pressure on the shifter when you downshift to second, doesn't effect upshifts at all. Only removed it because I went auto.

@The Green GT
Popping out of gear is usually a sign of too much clearance between certain parts in the transmission: this stems from the normal wear on the synchronizer blocking rings. Inspection of the conical shaped mating surfaces of the gears is necessary, but generally, they remain shiny clean. The Blocker Rings are made of soft metal, bronze usually, and their purpose is to bring the rotating assembly of the engine and transmission parts into ~ = speed as the movement of the shift collar proceeds to couple the transmission input shaft to the selected gear. Their replacement entails removal of the transmission from the vehicle, it's disassembly, and subsequent replacement of necessary parts.

Or buy a "rebuilt" transmission, and take your chances. I always vote for "fixin' what I got". imp