Mexican made Mach1 1972 or a 1973?

I would try using the Vin# to get a Carfax and see if anything shows up at all.

After that, I might take the Vin# down to the DMV and file for a lost title. That's all the information you need to give them. Let them [tell you] that the car is from Mexico and you will need X, Y, or Z to get it registered and titled.

If you have a bill of sale, I might include that with the items I take to the DMV.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey @yodie16,

There is some information that may help you: South of The Border Mustang Registry

Here is a video showing you where you can find the VIN number on the chassis of your car: Find your VIN.
On mine (1973 Mach 1 made in Mexico) it is engraved on the same place but on the passenger's side. Maybe it has to do with the model, who knows...
It can also be found on the door tag just like in the picture you posted.

From the information I could find online, your VIN (AF01MB22939)) would stand for:

A - Country of Origin - Ford USA
F - Production Facility - La Villa, Mexico City
01 - Body Code - Coupes Only (which is odd because yours is Fastback)
M - Year of Production - 1972
B - Month of Production - January
22939 - Consecutive Unit Number - Five digits only, starting with "10001" each model year

Concerning the engine serial number, I understood there were inexistent on engines built in Mexico. They just had the mention "Hecho en Mexico" which stands for "Made in Mexico". You can see it appearing on your door tag.
It seems that 70's Mexican Mustangs came with a 351 Windsor.

However, I have no idea if there is a way to know about the original color of the car, the interiors, the transmission, the axle etc...

Would anyone be able to help on that?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm thinking of selling the car do you know what it's worth?
Hey @yodie16,

There is some information that may help you: South of The Border Mustang Registry

Here is a video showing you where you can find the VIN number on the chassis of your car: Find your VIN.
On mine (1973 Mach 1 made in Mexico) it is engraved on the same place but on the passenger's side. Maybe it has to do with the model, who knows...
It can also be found on the door tag just like in the picture you posted.

From the information I could find online, your VIN (AF01MB22939)) would stand for:

A - Country of Origin - Ford USA
F - Production Facility - La Villa, Mexico City
01 - Body Code - Coupes Only (which is odd because yours is Fastback)
M - Year of Production - 1972
B - Month of Production - January
22939 - Consecutive Unit Number - Five digits only, starting with "10001" each model year

Concerning the engine serial number, I understood there were inexistent on engines built in Mexico. They just had the mention "Hecho en Mexico" which stands for "Made in Mexico". You can see it appearing on your door tag.
It seems that 70's Mexican Mustangs came with a 351 Windsor.

However, I have no idea if there is a way to know about the original color of the car, the interiors, the transmission, the axle etc...

Would anyone be able to help on that?

I'm thinking of selling the car do you know what it's worth?
Here is an ad for a Mach 1 1973 in the U.S, listed for USD 40k: Mach 1 1973 - Michigan, U.S.A

And here is one in Mexico, listed for USD 24k: Mach 1 1973, Mexico

I wasn't able to find any information about Mexican Mustangs Mach 1 1972; that's what's odd to me.
I thought only the Mach 1 73 had a Mexican version.

Could yours have been converted?

thanks for your help what do you mean by converted?
Yodie, I am new to this site and I live in Mexico.

I can tell you the car is from the state of Jalisco. I also know there is no active stolen car report on this car as far as the website says.

I can also tell you that when the paperwork is lost on a Mexican car, that is the end of the road for that car.

We don't have titles. The original sales invoice from the dealership the day it was first sold is the ownership document.

If the vehicle is sold, the current owner signs the back over to the next person. If the owner of the car lost the paperwork, he can go to court with a lot of witnesses to testify that the car belongs to him and eventually the court will issue documents of ownership again.

In your case you might try a lien sale through a mechanic shop or something like that. Because it is over 25 years old there will be no issue on getting a US title after all is said and done.

If you need any other help, please let me know.