Michigan newbie with a fixer upper

philcore3

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Hi everyone, I'm not new to owning mustangs however I am new to restoring one. Recently purchased an '85 carbs with T tops. It needs work, I am capable of smaller peripheral jobs, however the bigger jobs I'm looking for help. My local mechanic is always an option, but with the amount of work I need, I was hoping to find a do it yourselfer backyard mechanic to tackle most of the work. How would I go about finding someone in my area? I've tried asking around and a few facebook inquiries but those have not produced any results. Is there a way to find people here who may be in my area? Thanks for the help, I got a lot of work to do this summer!

• Sponsors (?)

Tuners need good mechanics too but honestly there should be very little you can't do on the mechanical side, those cars are really easy to work on.
What do you need the most help with?
Mechanical or body work?

Tuners need good mechanics too but honestly there should be very little you can't do on the mechanical side, those cars are really easy to work on.
What do you need the most help with?
Mechanical or body work?
I replaced the gas tank and sending unit. I am struggling with the fuel pump. Not sure how to correctly wire a relay, shut off switch, etc. and how to set correct fuel pressure. Previous electric fuel pump was rigged improperly in the engine bay. Also not very knowledgeable with carbs, all my past fox bodies have been FI. I'll be tackling brakes next which is in my wheelhouse. Also going to need help with welding on cat back exhaust and cutting and patching some floor pan holes.

Why not use a mechanical fuel pump?
Well that's part of my confusion. There does not seem to be a opening on the engine timing cover to accept a mechanical pump. My guess is that this engine is not original, but I'm not sure how to tell. It is a 302 v8, but beyond that I dont know what to look for as far as identification.

There are date codes on the block. I think they are on the passenger side, let me make sure, be back in a sec. :runaway:
look above the starter for a stamped(?) for a 4 digit date code. It will start with a number, then a letter, here is a link:
If I remember some V8s late in the 80's had CFI, central fuel injection, the throttle body was mounted on what looked like a regular intake.
Those years would not have a mechanical fuel pump boss but would have an in tank electric fuel pump. This is what you have now right?
Lets figure out what year your engine is first.

This is what is in my tank, no fuel pump, just the sending unit. I'll be able to get out there tonight and see if I can find the block code. Thanks for your help, that block date code should clear up some of the mystery.

Welcome fellow stanger. I'm sure you can wire an electric fuel pump, just take your time and read the directions twice.( Most wiring kits come with great directions)

Reactions: 1 user
Swapping timing covers can get confusing, 85 model 5.0 has a reverse rotation water pump so you need a timing cover with the fuel pump opening and accepts a reverse rotation water pump.
Now you can install an external fuel pump like was there but they are notorious for failure.
An in tank pump works best but it will have to be regulated to 7 psi.

Joining here is a great place to start. I'm with everyone else here, this is a great time to learn and become a better mechanic. With wiring, make sure the battery is disconnected while you do work, and use color coded wires with possible. You got this.

So yeah, I crawled down there last night and found an engine code F1SE BB. From an internet search, it looks like its a block from a "91. So I am the official owner of an '85 frankenstang. It still sounds like an electronic fuel pump is the best choice from what I'm hearing. My thoughts are if I can't find a knowledgeable backyard mechanic, I pony up and have a shop install the pump and exhaust and do a full assessment of whatever hillbilly setup I have.

Next we need to determine if it is a HO (hopefully), the firing order first, should be the same as a 351, then to verify the top of the pistons should be basically flat with 'eyebrows', unless you pull the heads you can use a bore scope to look through the spark plug hole.

I read this on another forum "An F1SE block is factory for 1991-95 Mustangs. F1SE means it was originally engineered for (designed for) a 1991 Thunderbird but Ford used that block in many other models. That happened to be the first year that the Cougar and Thunderbird got the H.O. 5.0L engine. They had it for only three years (1991-93). All other years that they had a 5.0L engine it was the S.O. (standard output)" I'm not ready to be tearing off heads but I can borrow a scope from a friend.

Swapping timing covers can get confusing, 85 model 5.0 has a reverse rotation water pump so you need a timing cover with the fuel pump opening and accepts a reverse rotation water pump.
Good point.
Now you can install an external fuel pump like was there but they are notorious for failure.
First I'd heard of that. Any particular point of failure?

Have any recommendations for a specific brand(s) of mechanical fuel pump, if that is the desired method of delivery?

Philcore3,
you will need a eccentric on the camshaft and a longer bolt also for the mechanical pump
Go back to stock. (well almost) Keep the roller block and get a new timing cover. It is only about a hundred bucks
All the above advice is great. Mine is to get it back to stock (as close as you can for reasonable dough)
The low pressure electric pumps fail too and the mechanical ones are cheap and easy to replace
You can keep a spare one in your trunk for vacations and road trips

Is the timing cover swap pretty straight forward? Just a new gasket and torque to spec? I like that idea idea just for the simplicity. Regarding what a poster said above, do I have to worry about water pump incompatibility and for that matter timing chain cover compatibility. I'd be putting an '85 timing cover on a "91 block.

You're definitely going to need the reverse rotation water pump if you put the 85 timing cover on it. Which means you'll need your belt routing to accommodate that.

Also, need to make sure your cam has an eccentric on it. Not sure if the cam in your 91 block would have one?!