Mild 289 Build For 1966 Mustang Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy mccarthy

Sep 1, 2012
My 15 year old daughter and I are working on her project car; a 1966 Mustang coupe with a C code 289. Im looking for advice/suggestions for a rebuild. I have read a bunch of what seems like common threads but it always turns into getting a 351 or convert to a 347. Keep in mind its for a teenage girl and her "first car".

That being said I'd like to keep the original 289 in the car, with a stock c4 transmission, 3.25 open 8 inch rear end. I'm upgrading the brakes to CSRP and a few other things to make it more safer. The machine shop says the 289 heads will not be cost effective to put new guides/ screw in studs / hardened exhhaust seats, etc and I may be better with a different head. Ive been eyeing a set of aluminum SVO heads off a 95 mustang cobra (perhaps). I want this to be a fun car that can get out of its own way but nothing that will be drag raced or street raced (i hope).

Im looking for your advice on components as the 289 seems cubic inch limited and it seems with the wrong combination of parts this can be a very poor running car. I dont want to strap on a set of race heads or some wildly tuned engine that runs only when its abov 60 degrees farenheit! no nitrous but just a reliable, fun and spunky car to drive.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

My 15 year old daughter and I are working on her project car; a 1966 Mustang coupe with a C code 289. Im looking for advice/suggestions for a rebuild. I have read a bunch of what seems like common threads but it always turns into getting a 351 or convert to a 347. Keep in mind its for a teenage girl and her "first car".

That being said I'd like to keep the original 289 in the car, with a stock c4 transmission, 3.25 open 8 inch rear end. I'm upgrading the brakes to CSRP and a few other things to make it more safer. The machine shop says the 289 heads will not be cost effective to put new guides/ screw in studs / hardened exhhaust seats, etc and I may be better with a different head. Ive been eyeing a set of aluminum SVO heads off a 95 mustang cobra (perhaps). I want this to be a fun car that can get out of its own way but nothing that will be drag raced or street raced (i hope).

Im looking for your advice on components as the 289 seems cubic inch limited and it seems with the wrong combination of parts this can be a very poor running car. I dont want to strap on a set of race heads or some wildly tuned engine that runs only when its abov 60 degrees farenheit! no nitrous but just a reliable, fun and spunky car to drive.

Thanks guys.

Hello , I have a complete valvetrain to make power from stock heads with minor mods. I have a set of NOS 1969 GT 40 valves , double springs ,retainers and locks. Part mnumbers: Intake valve C90Z-6507-AA, Exhaust valve C90Z-6505-AA,Springs C3AZ-6513-B,retainers C90Z-6514-D, and Locks C9ZZ-6518-A. These are in NOS Ford boxes, and with the right cam and intake carb combo are said to produce a lot of HP!. Call me at 336-452-2185 for details

I dont know my small block ford heads as I'm normally an FE engine person, but what is considered "minor mods" would just the valves/springs make more power? It seems to my the exhaust ports are somewhat restricted and would at least require some cleanup to make all of the others stuff really work. I never drove the car as it was a project when bought so I dont have a feel for what the stock motor was like originally to drive. what kind of HP gain would I see over the stock 200 hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.