Mild 351W build...

Ninety2StangGT

Oct 31, 2006
Well I pulled a 351W from a 74 Torino and I want to do my first rebuild. But there is really no point in rebuilding to a stock engine so I want to do a mild upgrade. I am debating on whether I would keep it or try to sell it. If I keep it, I may try to find an old Ranger or early Fox body to put it in.

I am currently looking at Summits' rebuild kit but I am confused on some things. What do the main bearing and rod bearing undersize do?

My uncle works at Mack so he can clean up the block and do the machining for me. I am still deciding on whether or not I want to get it bored over or just cleaned up. I don't want to put a whole lot of money into this engine so I am not looking to do anything special.

What other rebuild kits do you guys recommend? I would like a quality kit but not for too much money. Somewhere around $400 would be ideal.

Eric

• Sponsors (?)

Well I pulled a 351W from a 74 Torino and I want to do my first rebuild. But there is really no point in rebuilding to a stock engine so I want to do a mild upgrade. I am debating on whether I would keep it or try to sell it. If I keep it, I may try to find an old Ranger or early Fox body to put it in.

I am currently looking at Summits' rebuild kit but I am confused on some things. What do the main bearing and rod bearing undersize do?

My uncle works at Mack so he can clean up the block and do the machining for me. I am still deciding on whether or not I want to get it bored over or just cleaned up. I don't want to put a whole lot of money into this engine so I am not looking to do anything special.

What other rebuild kits do you guys recommend? I would like a quality kit but not for too much money. Somewhere around $400 would be ideal.

Eric

If a crank was damaged before the rebuild, the machine shop can 'undercut' the journals. This results in a crank that is .010 undersized. They sell bearing kits in standard undersizes to allow this to be done.

If the bores don't need to be bored over, then leave them as is. A little honing may be enough to get a good bore finish.
You won't gain any noticeable power with an overbore.

As for what kit, I am not sure.
It will depend on what the plans are for the motor.
You should be able to find a stock rebuild kit for that price, but I don't know about any strokers?
Your best bet of finding a cheap stroker will be the 393.

jason