Mild Vortech Supercharger Vs Good Alum Heads

Bob F

May 14, 2015
Roscoe IL
Looking for thoughts on Supercharger vs Heads. I have a stock 88 speed density 5.0 with mild bolt ons (Shorty headers, h pipe, 70mm tb, power pullys, 4.10 gear etc.) I also have ready to install a 93 Cobra intake, 130 amp alternator, e fan, and N20. I was going to do a 75hp shot of N20 along with the other things listed above. Now I am leaning toward doing the 70hp Vortech kit, upgraded fuel pump and not using N20. I assume with the cobra intake and exhaust mods the 70hp will turn into a little more? Or would it make more sense to do a good set of heads also with upgraded fuel pump? I know the Vortech will cost a little more (including all labor) but it would still be in my budget since I would sell the nitrous kit. Last question: with the intake and supercharger would 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers be a good upgrade on stock heads? Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly with the a decent set of heads and that intake you will see 70hp. If you are contemplating both the power adder should always come last.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to be on the opposite side. I would do the blower,pump,etc and get the 75hp. You can tear into the motor later. You would benefit from a tune though.

Reactions: 1 user
I sort of agree with 5liter.

Or, plan it out based on you getting a supercharger later, but you'll suffer slightly tell then. The heads for superchargers generally have lower compression than the ones that aren't for superchargers. Pump gas might be a issue.

I have the 58cc chambers and you can still deck it a little to get compression higher. The heads for supercharges, I believe, have 62 or 64 cc chambers.

I sort of agree with 5liter.

Or, plan it out based on you getting a supercharger later, but you'll suffer slightly tell then. The heads for superchargers generally have lower compression than the ones that aren't for superchargers. Pump gas might be a issue.

I have the 58cc chambers and you can still deck it a little to get compression higher. The heads for supercharges, I believe, have 62 or 64 cc chambers.
He's talking a 75hp kit. Not a block splitting unit. With the goals stated I'm not even sure I'd spend money on it, but if his end goal was in the 500hp range and lifting the front tires at the track, then sure. Plan it out with low comp heads and a cam ground for boost. For added grunt on top of a basic 280hp hci there's no reason to over build.

Good points for both ways. One thing I do like with the Vortech is I can keep the car speed density. That's hard to do with most cams. The other thing is I can upgrade the Vortech for more power later. Does anybody think upgraded roller rockers are a good idea with Vortech and stock heads?

Good points for both ways. One thing I do like with the Vortech is I can keep the car speed density. That's hard to do with most cams. The other thing is I can upgrade the Vortech for more power later. Does anybody think upgraded roller rockers are a good idea with Vortech and stock heads?
No real reason to upgrade the rockers as far as durability goes. There is a slight increase of performance with 1.7's but it wouldn't be noticeable in your case. Bang for the buck...just do what you need to install the blower and rock out. Adding heads etc in the future is highly recommended. The basic blower is more than capable for a fun street car.

No real reason to upgrade the rockers as far as durability goes. There is a slight increase of performance with 1.7's but it wouldn't be noticeable in your case. Bang for the buck...just do what you need to install the blower and rock out. Adding heads etc in the future is highly recommended. The basic blower is more than capable for a fun street car.
Funny thing if I do the Vortech I won't be using the valve covers I got from you, but I will keep them for future heads!

Reactions: 1 user
sarcasm :

noun sar·casm \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\

the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny

I actually didn't intend it to come across that way. I was just giving the chemical formula for what I believed he was saying.

I dont have a problem with someone correcting my typo. It is funny though when you read the definition of sarcasm it says "the use of WORDS..." well neither n2o or no2 are words! :lol: