Minor problems after big job. Help Needed.

cughter

Dec 1, 2009
Hey folks,
I was driving my 02' 3.8l (stock) the other day and felt like a gasket broke. The driver side header was shooting out coolant in the very front. Figured it was either blown head gasket or intake gasket as well as a bad exhaust manifold gasket. Tore the engine apart, replaced Head Gasket, Intake Manifold Gasket, and Exhaust Manifold Gasket.

I'm guessing coolant (or possibly something else?) got into my cat converter because when I started it up and let it run for a few minutes the Cat converter was glowing red. (NOT good I know!) I removed the mid pipe, let it dry out for about a week and slapped it back under the car. Now when I start it up, I get knocking from the engine for only about 15 seconds after start-up, and there's still water coming out of exhaust! I'm stumped! I'm taking the mid-pipe to a muffler shop to get it checked out.

To add to that, out of stupidity, I broke one of the OUTSIDE bolts that screws on the lower intake manifold, and I didn't put the push-rods back in the same exact order they were in. Could either of these have to do with the knocking sound on start-up?

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone? and what was your solution?
I hope I'm not looking at a new Cat Converter or even two, may as well buy new exhaust for those prices... Just short on cash.
Any insight would be helpful, thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)