Misfire Question

dml1964

Feb 5, 2019
Oklahoma
I have a 2001 Mustang 3.8 v6. I have rebuilt the engine and for the most part it is running great. I am getting an intermittent misfire on cylinder 2 and 6. I replaced the coil pack becuase it appears to have arc lines at the bottom right under the 2/6 coil. However it didnt fix the problem it did seem to improve some though. Can the cam synchronizer not being in perfectly cause a mis fire on just those cylinders? I think I may be off slight on the cam sync. Those are now the only 2 codes I am getting, I was getting a p1309 but after moving the cam sync that has not popped the last couple days just p0302 and p0306.

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced the coil pack becuase it appears to have arc lines at the bottom right under the 2/6 coil.
Arc lines are caused when it's easier for the spark to take an alternate path than through the spark plug gap. The things that might cause this are:
  • Excessive spark plug gap
  • a break in the spark plug wires.
  • Mis-routed spark plug wires. Crossed wires or wires run to the wrong cylinders.
  • a lean misfire caused by a clogged fuel injector.
IMO the worst thing that a cam sensor issue could cause would be timing related.