Suspension MMSTB-5 on 2002 GT

PSKSAM2

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
NJ
It's been a long time since I've posted here, back to fixing up my car after a long delay due to marriage and kids.

Picking up where i left off, I got a Maximum Motorsports Strut Tower Brace MMSTB-5 to finish off the chassis stiffening. Started to dry fit it and noticed that the 2002 has a wiring harness that runs along the firewall right in the spot where the STB mounts sit. The MM install instructions don't seem to mention this, so I am assuming it may be particular to the 2002 model year or at least not all years 94-04. I emailed MM and got an initial response, sent some more pics, and I'm waiting to hear back.

I was just wondering if anyone who has installed an STB (particularly an MM) on a 2002 or similar with this harness has encountered this and how you handled it? Over, under, reroute?

This guy has a nice picture of the harness and another hose running over the firewall mounts of his bar:
https://wheelwell.com/alexander-rod...mum-motorsport-strut-tower-brace-strut-bar-na

• Sponsors (?)

Got a reply from MM Tech support:

I would route the harness under the strut tower tubes and in front of the pinch weld seam. Then suspend it from the STB tubes with zip ties.

Going to give it a shot.

Also noticed the link I put above had not actually installed (no bolts visible on strut towers).

I have my harness under the MM support. Just remove the hold down pin from the firewall and let it hang. It won't go anywhere. I have a few pics on my engine page with my support. It's an '02 GT as well. I personally don't like harness above brackets like this.

I have my harness under the MM support. Just remove the hold down pin from the firewall and let it hang. It won't go anywhere. I have a few pics on my engine page with my support. It's an '02 GT as well. I personally don't like harness above brackets like this.

Thanks, those are awesome shots. I will definitely be going back to your site as I continue my upgrades. Not sure I'll get to do them all at once, but trying to lay them out in as logical fashion as possible. I'll probably be pinging you with some more questions.

Thanks, those are awesome shots. I will definitely be going back to your site as I continue my upgrades. Not sure I'll get to do them all at once, but trying to lay them out in as logical fashion as possible. I'll probably be pinging you with some more questions.

Thanks. Not a problem, ask away. I've been in this business my entire life so this is actually fun. Not to mention I'm retired and have a lot of spare time now. :)

After some pain with getting the firewall bolts to fit (stripped the outer ones and had to order a new HW kit and drill the holes out a bit), got the brace fully installed. The harness is below the bar. Feels good, onto the next mod.

weendoggy - one more question. Did you relocate your fuse box a little bit forward or is the 2001 slightly different than my 2002 perhaps? Seems like yours can be opened with the STB in place, where mine is basically jammed shut by the bar.

Last edited:
No, I did not relocate the fuse panel. I think you can "bend" the bracket enough to clear the bar. It's a tight fit but if you have to move it, so be it. Mine is a tight fit but I did persuade it too.

Thanks. Looked back at the pictures on your site and it definitely seemed to be a little less tight than mine. I'll have to see if I can convince it to move forward a bit.

I took a crack at this this weekend and managed to use some plastic shims for home window installation to shift the box forward. Had to shim it behind the two screws that go into the strut tower. The hole for the third screw in the bracket is oval, so I had enough room without redrilling to move it about 1/4 inch forward. It is still a little tricky, but I can get the lid off past the STB now and access the fuses if needed without removing the brace.