moaning coming from the rear only when turning left or right while coasting

sbelyo

Jun 10, 2005
Like the title states I have moaning coming from the rear only when turning left or right while coasting. I thought it was in the front, but I'm almost positive it's from the rear.

The noise is louder when turning right. It's still there when turning left, but fainter.

I just had the diff rebuilt with the carbon clutch pack kit, new bearings, 3.55 gears, and royal purple fluid. It was done by a local shop that does them often. It made no noise, was smooth and tight for the first 500 miles or so. The noise just started last week.

The only thing I can think of it that I didn't have the axle tube bearings replaced, only the seals. The mechanic said the bearings were fine so there was no need to replace them.

• Sponsors (?)

First, are you absolutely certain it is from the rear? I ask this because there is a TSB regarding a problem with a moan/squeak/groan from the steering rack bushing. I had this problem on my 03. It would usually present during backing out while turning.

Bad wheel bearings usually make a growling sound.

500 miles is not very long (depending on driving conditions) for a break in period. Carbon fiber clutches are more aggressive than stock. IMO, it is reasonble that a longer break in period may be needed.

May try going to a parking lot and making slow speeds turns left/right/forward/backwards. The idea is to exercise the LSD and speed up the break in process.

Also, could the moan be from the brakes? The Mustang is bad about the slid pins galling/rusting to the bracket. This prevents the brakes from releasing/adjusting as they should. Try cleaning and greasing the slid pins. Use the high temperature grease made for this purpose.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the rear. I thought at first that it might be from the front but I really listened to it this morning and I think it's more from the rear.

You may be onto something with the breaks. I had new cobra calipers and the cobra rear break kit installed with the larger vented rotors in the rear. The anti moan brackets wouldn't fit because the aftermarket KYB quad shocks are thicker than the oem and the bracket hits them. I would think that the moan would only come when I break, but maybe that's not the case?

So the anti-moan brackets weren't installed and now you have moaning....:chair:

Consider that the Calipers are binding and making contact with the rotors all the time. No need to actually break to get a noise. This is why the slid pins must move freely so that the Calipers can fully release and adjust for wear.

Also use some disk brake quiet between the pads and the Calipers.

So the anti-moan brackets weren't installed and now you have moaning........

Consider that the Calipers are binding and making contact with the rotors all the time. No need to actually break to get a noise. This is why the slid pins must move freely so that the Calipers can fully release and adjust for wear.

Also use some disk brake quiet between the pads and the Calipers.

That's got to be it... I didn't realize that the calipers were making contact all the time. I figured that it only moaned when you were braking

Time to get a good set of LCA's and ditch the quad shocks so that I can put the anti-moan brackets on

My Mach 1 did the same thing but only made noise while making right hand turns and it ended up being that the last shop to do the gears in the car shimmed the diff wrong and the shims came loose making even more play.

Bill

My Mach 1 did the same thing but only made noise while making right hand turns and it ended up being that the last shop to do the gears in the car shimmed the diff wrong and the shims came loose making even more play.

Bill

I'm hoping this is not the case. It's not a constant noise. I've narrowed it down to right after the brakes are applied and then released.

For instance, it made the noise when pulling in and turning to park this morning, but after sitting for a few hours it did not make the noise when I went out for lunch. Only when I hit the brakes a few times pulling into taco bell it started again. It definitely happens turning left or right.