Moats Quarter Horse

tb9050lx

Mar 7, 2004
ct
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the moats tuner are been thinking of getting one and tinkinring with it . what software would be recommended or needed as well ?

• Sponsors (?)

Moates quarter horse and binary editor work well. Check out dirtydirtyracing.com Willie Lynch does awesome tuning with moates QH

I have used Moates QH and Binary Editor for a few years. It was a huge step ahead of Tweecer I used before. Couple of cautions though. It is easy to tie up $500 in hardware and software. In addition to the binary reader software you also need a DEF file. I purchased one DEF for $200 DEF and another for $25. I use the $25 file. Binary Editor is a Clint Garrity product. He offers outstanding technical support but he isn't going to tune your car for you.

Tuning isn't something you figure out in a just a couple days. I really enjoy DIY tuning but it was painful for awhile. I'd recommend buying a base tune with your hardware and at least your car will run while you figure out the nuances. The ability to tweak your tune as you make mods is a big advantage.

Definition file which is sometimes referred to as a strategy file. In my case for CBAZA. I use Binary Editor software (BE). You load a Definition file into BE, then you can write your tuning file. A tuning file is often called a Calibration file.

This will allow you to do anything you want...
You can delete the maf and run the car speed density, data log with a laptop as you drive then auto tune (god bless auto tune). The program takes your logged info and compares it to the values that you commanded in the tune such as afr. Then it makes changes to fuel trim acceleration enrichment blah blah to get the afr values that you want. Some things must be done manually such as timing curves etc.

Things have definitely changed over the years. IIRC Megasquirt offerings used to be much more expensive. Tweecer and QH were cheaper before the software guys locked there software down with registration fees. I think my first Tweecer was $199 complete with a base tune to get me started. A lot folks think they can get into Moates QH for $250 and that is not the case anymore, unless you use Tuner Pro or some other software free version. Tech support is excellent, but it isn't $250 out the door.

QH can work very well, but I am not trying to peddle it on this thread.

DIY tuning is not for everyone. I don't think DIY tuning is ever worth it if you are only going to use it once or twice. You can buy a chip and be done with it. But if you buy a dyno tuning session and a chip you just paid for a tuning system. Even after you spend the money, learning to tune requires a substantial investment of time. I enjoy it so it works for me. It's nice to be able to tweak your fuel or timing whenever you want to make the car perform how you want. Now I can add a mod a week if I feel like it and , not spend anymore money on adjusting the tune.

I don't need one. I was just curious if they were now charging for a DEF that was once free. The GUFB def is pretty much completely broken out. I think that is why the some of the DEFs cost money. They are more complete versus the DEFs that are free.

Yes, a lot of the DEFs are still available for free or you can buy them. Some of the free DEFs are decent. Some free DEFs are worth about what you paid for them. :) The CBAZA DEF I use is from a guy that goes by aka SailerBob on many forums. I paid $25 years a few ago for a good DEF. And he has sent me updates about 3-4 times since then at no charge as he continually improves them. If you have a question he is available so a very good deal IMO.

He's probably talking about Popsracing.
POPSRACING.COM

I never used one of his DEF files, but everything I've heard is that it is very much worth it.
Talked to him on the phone a couple times. Nice dude, very knowledgeable.

Sailorbobs DEF's were all I could afford though...

That MS kit is $415, and I'm sure there are extras to get... WB, etc...

BE is up to $100 now, with another $71 for the dongle option.

My next project might be run on MS...
edit: nevermind, that MS setup can't do CoP or SEFI on a v8.

Last edited:
He's probably talking about Popsracing.
POPSRACING.COM

I never used one of his DEF files, but everything I've heard is that it is very much worth it.
Talked to him on the phone a couple times. Nice dude, very knowledgeable.

Sailorbobs DEF's were all I could afford though...

That MS kit is $415, and I'm sure there are extras to get... WB, etc...

BE is up to $100 now, with another $71 for the dongle option.

My next project might be run on MS...
edit: nevermind, that MS setup can't do CoP or SEFI on a v8.

Yes it can do cop and sefi..... you just need to add drivers, it has the capability to do that for an l4 as is so doubling up the drivers is all that's needed.....
I personally like the ability to pin the stock harness, and the fact you can program any number of extras like nitrous and fans ect...
But extras get costly...

Yes it can do cop and sefi..... you just need to add drivers, it has the capability to do that for an l4 as is so doubling up the drivers is all that's needed.....
I personally like the ability to pin the stock harness, and the fact you can program any number of extras like nitrous and fans ect...
But extras get costly...
From your link...
4 Spark Outputs (Up to 4 Cylinder Coil On Plug, up to 8 Cylinder Wasted Spark)

Natively support two fuel outputs for batch or bank-to-bank fueling. Optionally upgrade to 4cyl sequential or 6/8 cyl semi-sequential with this module.

The way I read this is that even with the upgrades, you don't get CoP for 8 cylinders, and only 'semi-sequential' fueling for 8 cylinders